plastic covered kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJ-Bill

Reaction score
I'm lazy.. Go a 3 1/2 month old baby up stairs, I'm lucky to be here typing.!!!

I scored a 53L or 5 gallon keg if you will on the weekend..
problem is that it has that stupid plastic on the top and bottom. What the best way to get that off?? I plan on using it for a kettle not a keg!!.. I'm going to have a go at it soon.. I know it's meyal under there:rockin::drunk:

You must mean 20L keg. If it's a tall skinny keg, then I'd suggest finding another use for it. Removing that rubber bottom will be a giant pain in the arse.

I have a 50L version of those (13.2 Gal). From the research I did, the metal bottom has no skirt and is just rounded (so if you remove the rubber bottom, it will just be rounded stainless). The top (handle part) has no metal in it, so if you cut the rubber top off, there will be no handles. It is an enclosed stainless vessel but, imo, the usability of it will be gone if you remove the rubber sections as you will have to do some welding or modifying to use it as a kettle. That is why mine sits in the basement waiting to become a fermenter or sold off and why I just waited to get the real deal 15.5 gal stainless kegs. I have heard that you could just drill the side of it and use it as an electric kettle though.

Back