My Barley Crusher Let Me Down Tonight

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heineken

Reaction score
I went to start a Zombie Dust clone earlier tonight. I put in about 75% of my grain in my barley crusher hopper. Before I could react, the hopper came apart from the crusher and all my grain fell onto the garage floor. Probably $30 worth of grain and worse, won't be able to get grain to brew for a few days. Major bummer. I've only used the barley crusher a few times so didn't expect it to give me trouble this early based on all the reviews.

All you barley crusher users, beware and make sure the bolts holding the hopper are tight.

I guess either you have a really dirty garage or don't believe in the "5 second rule". All your grain is getting boiled after the mash. Are there really cooties in your garage?

I've had nothing but trouble with my barley crusher (I've talked about it before so won't rehash here), but the hopper is the least of it. I'd just sweep it up and crush it and move on. I crush in my basement, though, so there may be a few spiders but no chemical spills!

Back