Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Mash thermometer - digital w/ probe, what do you guys use?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2011, 02:17 AM   #1
Rev2010
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 324

Default Mash thermometer - digital w/ probe, what do you guys use?

Looking to get one of the typical digital thermometers with the metal problem attached to a cable. Saw some dude on Youtube use one in his vid and would like one myself. I know the probe isn't meant to be fully submersed in the mash as the end that meets the cable typically isn't water proof. But the probes seem to usually be a few inches long meaning I can hang it down into the mash and hold the cable while putting the lid on to keep the probe hanging at length - just what I saw the guy do in the vid.

Anyhow, there are many brands and makes of digital w/probe thermometers out there and I just want to see if any of you have any you've been using for a while that you recommend. I do not want a thru-wall or anything other than the digital/cable/with probe type at this time. Just trying to see if there are any tried and true one's out there that I can confidently go ahead and buy.

Rev.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2011, 02:21 AM   #2
dutchoven
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I've used this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ce-full-site=1. Accuracy should be checked, though. I use a Thermapen nowadays.

Old 11-04-2011, 02:22 AM   #3
Rev2010
Recipes 

^^^^ "We're sorry. The Web address you entered is not a functioning page on our site "

Rev.

Old 11-04-2011, 02:25 AM   #4
Atog
Recipes 

Fluke could work. You can use measures J, K, T, and E-types of thermocouples. Cost is higher but they last a long time. But I am an industry guy and brew with the equipment I have at work.

Old 11-04-2011, 02:33 AM   #5
dutchoven
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchoven View Post
I've used this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ce-full-site=1 Accuracy should be checked, though. I use a Thermapen nowadays.
Fixed the link above. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ce-full-site=1

Old 11-04-2011, 02:36 AM   #6
mobilecabinworks
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have seen a vid with a guy using the digital thermometer with the cable and probe and he had + or - 6 degrees written on it from his calibration. Can't remember which direction. Either way I question the accuracy of them. Always calibrate! Cheers.

Old 11-04-2011, 02:56 AM   #7
Rev2010
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchoven View Post
That's basically the type of model I was looking at. How did it work out for you? You mentioned it needing calibration - not a problem but was it frequently off? A Thermapen definitely seems a more accurate option but I was hoping for something I can monitor the temp in the mash without having to take the lid off but I could definitely do a Thermapen.

Rev.

Old 11-04-2011, 02:58 AM   #8
shortyjacobs
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Only "recommended" cheapie I know of is the CDN one, and that doesn't have a remote probe, (btw, I chuckled at how your autocorrect turned "probe" into "problem" in your original post...hilarious, and pretty true).

Whatever you go with, I've recently been thinking about sealing up a probe with silicone. I mean, it's food safe, handles temps up to like 500F, and easy to apply. The only one I know of is the DAP 100% silicone sealant, (here, but also at probably any hardware store). Seems a lot more permenant than the hokey "aquarium tube and vaseline" sealing method....and then you don't have to worry about getting it wet...

(As of 10-24-2011)
Primary - Steppe 112 PA, 2x Monday RyePA
Aging - None :-(
On tap - Big Dog, Apfelwein, Steppe 112 PA

My invisible AG sculpture, with no actual sculpture and a tiny footprint.
My Kegerator goes offroading!
My Coors Home Draft dispenser for boating/beering on the go.

Old 11-04-2011, 04:00 AM   #9
Rev2010
Recipes 

I guess it was my error typing away too fast or something cause I wasn't on my phone at the time.

Is the risk of damage that great not sealing up the probe end - ok, just typed "problem" again so apparently it's me... I got some glitch mentally that occasionally types problem instead of probe LOL. Didn't even realize that till typing now. Anyhow, if the probe is suspended just enough for the steel to be in the mash and no further does that still pose a risk?

Rev.

Old 11-04-2011, 04:13 AM   #10
dutchoven
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

OK, looking at Thermoworks, they have a waterproof PTFE (Teflon), Type K probe used for dishwashers, freezers, etc. See here (about 2/3 down the page): http://www.thermoworks.com/products/probe/tc_wire.html. The downside is cost -- $29 for the probe, ~$70 for a meter.

Quick Reply