Large plastic water bottles as carboys?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike_folse

Reaction score
I see 5 gallon and smaller plastic jugs of water for sale at various grocery stores. Some allow you to return the empty bottle for a full one later. Can these bottles be used as fermenters? I do smaller batches and like to use these as secondaries, etc. SAMs Club had a 4 gallon bottle made of PET#1 for $4. I was hoping to use water for brewing and then use the jug for a secondary. Is this safe?

It is safe, just be sure that when you clean it without using an abrasive brush, as scratched can harbor bacteria, wild yeast, etc.

:cheers:

"SAMs Club had a 4 gallon bottle made of PET#1 for $4."

and the `better bottle` bung for an airlock fits right in it.

I've a small batch of cider going in one now in my mini-fridge fermentor.

Why spend 25 for a BB when you can get these locally for 4

Was the sam's club price including the water? I have been tricked before where there's another 10 for the bottle, but refills or swaps are cheaper.

I use those bottles all the time. I just had my 3 gal crack. You have to inspect them after each brew to see if there are any hairline cracks. Like someone said, don't use a brush to clean. And I think really hot water is bad for them and might lead to cracks.

Latest posts

Back