Keggle Lids?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha Platinum...send me one and I'll put some picks of my DIY make your Girl a wedding ring for 7 bucks.

Still an Avid supporter of the Ikea's I have already dropped mine a couple times and there solid...If i break one it was only 8 bucks.

"BOOM".

PS. Simphoto02 can you Pm me Parts for your sparge arm Please...I helped you, you help me :)

By the way Walmart is down the street and I know exactly what lids your talking about...there suppose to fit 3 different sizes...They do not look appealing what so ever (they are see through in the center) but do not sit flesh in the keg...Condensation build up would leak all down the side of your keg...I have witnessed this before. ~But if it works for you it works~

Ikea All Day

By the way Walmart is down the street and I know exactly what lids your talking about...there suppose to fit 3 different sizes...They do not look appealing what so ever (they are see through in the center) but do not sit flesh in the keg...Condensation build up would leak all down the side of your keg...I have witnessed this before. ~But if it works for you it works~

To be honest, I never use it. I originally got it b/c I thought it looked like a good thing to have, but when do you ever really need a lid for your keggle? The only time I've ever used it is when I"m bringing my wort up to a boil. Other than that, I never use it 1- B/c you need dms to boil out and 2- When I have my wort chiller in, the lid doesn't fit. After those two things, it's in a squeaky clean carboy with an airlock on top. You know what I mean?

Ya I use it for my HLT and to store once dry...Also found a way to prop it during the boil so its 70-80% open and any condensation that builds off is directed downward out of the kettle. Also prevents boil overs Which is nice.

PS. Simphoto02 can you Pm me Parts for your sparge arm Please...I helped you, you help me :)

Ikea All Day

Hey I sure will. Not very complicated. The Flying Sparge arm I think I got it at No. Brewer, but I will check. It comes with a large rectangular plate that is designed to support the spinning arm and the down tube. http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/brewing-equipment/all-grain-equipment/sparge-arms/stainless-sparger-large.html I just modified the thing to work without the supplied plastic plate.

As far as the other parts....

a 1/2"female NPT to 3/8" Hose Barb Nylon fitting
A 1/2" NPT Stainless "TEE"
a 1/2" NPT 90*
a 1/2" NPT 45*
5 - 1/2" NPT nipples
A 1.5" Tri-clover fitting, 1/2" NPT threaded
a 1/2" SS Ball Valve
a 1/2" NPT SS nut
A couple of silicone washers

There are other pics in my gallery of this thing on a Sanke Keg top, cut to make a keggle, as I explored my lid options.

Thanks for that I will be defiantly be ordering parts as far as quick disconnects go I haven't decided what I will be purchasing...those obviously work for your system! I like the looks also. I really like the whirlpool arm without having to drill the keg side...as far as that part lists it was just for the sparge arm itself correct! (are those bargain fittings disconnects)

Thanks for that I will be defiantly be ordering parts as far as quick disconnects go I haven't decided what I will be purchasing...those obviously work for your system! I like the looks also. I really like the whirlpool arm without having to drill the keg side...as far as that part lists it was just for the sparge arm itself correct! (are those bargain fittings disconnects)

Correct on the Sparge Arm parts list. I think I got them either at McMaster-Carr or Bargain Fittings. That is not a "Whirlpool Arm." it is the recirculation arm for the Mash tun. it never runs fast enough to create a whirlpool.

My bad that's what I meant...it be nice to direct fire and recirculate even with that...less holes in your keg=less leaks+welds...even if you put te pump on full blast and recirc it doesn't get the wort moving? I'm sure if you tweaked the copper a bit, or made it longer you could get it goin? Then again I'm sure you've tried things. I'll pm you if I have trouble...where did you get the plastic circle to sit on the glass? I'm assuming you drilled a hole to fit the arm through! Does it have to e a specific material with the least resistance for the arm to spin? Maybe I'm over thinking this.

My bad that's what I meant...it be nice to direct fire and recirculate even with that...less holes in your keg=less leaks+welds...even if you put te pump on full blast and recirc it doesn't get the wort moving? I'm sure if you tweaked the copper a bit, or made it longer you could get it goin? Then again I'm sure you've tried things. I'll pm you if I have trouble...where did you get the plastic circle to sit on the glass? I'm assuming you drilled a hole to fit the arm through! Does it have to e a specific material with the least resistance for the arm to spin? Maybe I'm over thinking this.

Get the fly sparger, it will answer all those questions. (I had them too) The plastic piece i cut with a hole saw from the plate that came with the fly sparg arm. I originally intended to use a cut sanke top, but decided against it. The hole in the current lid is where the bolt passed trough for the handle. The hole it's self was a bit big, but it also had a grommet and with a little food lube it fit very well. the shaft of the fly sparg arm does not spin, just the bottom part does.

I cut the opening on my keggle so that a glass lid from a skillet would fit it...
IMG00508-20120117-1524.jpg

Simphoto02 said:
I received the lids yesterday and WOW. The fly sparge whirlygig as Lonnie puts it fi through the hole in the lid for the handle with a little food lube on the rubber gasket it seams to work great. I was able to drill the stainless on the outer edge for the valve and what not...

Fly Sparger Thingy

Re-Circ Arm in Mash Tun

Now that you have had this setup for awhile what ate your thought? Do you still like it? Any issues with not being able to check fluid levels due to fogging?

Simphoto02 said:
I received the lids yesterday and WOW. The fly sparge whirlygig as Lonnie puts it fi through the hole in the lid for the handle with a little food lube on the rubber gasket it seams to work great. I was able to drill the stainless on the outer edge for the valve and what not...

Fly Sparger Thingy

Re-Circ Arm in Mash Tun

How do you like this setup?

Latest posts

Back