How would you clean this jar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrustyOlJohnson

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I found this jar while hunting in my family's woods and know the history of the area, it may be as much as 50-70 years old. It is a 2 qt mason jar and I want to use if for various things. I have rinsed it, washed it with Dawn, let it sit in PBW for a week. Unfortunately, a whitish film remains on the inside and outside of the jar. I want it to be crystal clear. Any ideas as to what to do?View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1424111112.961191.jpg

Hm. Well...if PBW didn't do the trick, I'd try some white vinegar.

If that didn't work, then you may have to resort to some more serious acids.

Maybe you can boil it? I don't know if for some reason you shouldn't boil jars that old, though.

Since you tried PBW and it didn't work, maybe try an acidic solution to see if that works? A strong vinegar solution or something.

I really don't know... just throwing out ideas! :mug:

I have some old pre-prohibition beer bottles that look like that. I've tried just about everything to get them clean. I've tried acids, PBW, Barkeepers friend. I've soaked them for days. So far nothing has worked. I've pretty much given up on it.

Hm. Well...if PBW didn't do the trick, I'd try some white vinegar.

If that didn't work, then you may have to resort to some more serious acids.

+on the vinegar, it is probably the best house hold cleaner there is. Let it soak for a while. If that doesn't work there are some really nasty drain cleaners that will burn through any thing, but I like to shy away from that stuff with curious kids around

My flask gets like that sometimes. I wipe it down with a folded paper napkin dampened with Starsan. Try that...works on my yeast jars too.

25% solution of muratic acid and water. Careful, nasty stuff. Add the acid to the water, never the other way around.

Back