How long will a batch of star san stay effective?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ddogsleezy

Reaction score
I've heard a few different thoughts on how long a batch of star San solution will stay viable. Just curious to hear what you guys have heard. Thanks.

I've seen starsan go cloudy instantly depending on the water.

I'm on the if the PH tests good its good side.
I've also made new because I've gotten tired of looking at it and testing. Starsan isn't my primary sanitizer so I end up making new stuff when I need it.

can somebody explain how cloudy it can be for us without a pH meter? or is it anything noticeably less clear than water?

I have noticed if you leave a container open to air it gets cloudy in about a week. is that absorbing CO2 and creating NaHCO3 which acts as a buffer and uses up some of the acid?

Slightly an aside and slightly not. My Starsan solutions made with tap water cloud instantly. Right after addition. Should I be concerned about the effectiveness of my Starsan solution? I am positive I get the ratio right. Also, should I be concerned about the possible ph problems of my water effecting my brew?

I used StarSan the first time on a batch I brewed two weeks ago. Since I'd heard you could store it for later use I saved it in some plastic milk jubs. I had no idea it was supposed to be clear -- mine clouded up instantly.

How are you testing the pH? I assume I can use the same drop-based test kit I use to check my swimming pool water?

My starsan turns cloudy almost instantly every time I mix it up. If the ph is under 3.2 you're good to go.

Honestly, I've brewed a few times and forgotten to check the ph. When I did later and it was higher than 3.2, I was still fine.

Yeah... it dawned on me last night that I can't use the same test anyway. The scale on the comparator only goes down to 6.2 or so. If your pool water has a pH lower than 6.5, you *&^%$-well sure better not swim in it. Plus, it will corrode the bejeezus out of all the metal components in your plumbing.

I make it as I use it. It's all about the foam, so I make a big bowl of foam. Or, I drip a little into the better bottle or keg, hit it with a little water, and shake to make foam.

:ban:

Latest posts

Back