How is this for a CO2 tank?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sir Humpsalot

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I need a 10 lb CO2 tank, but I hate the thought of buying new because I know most places around me just do exchanges anyway...

I found this on eBay, and I have a $10 off any paypal transaction coupon. So that means I could pick one of these up for $68.40 after shipping. Sure, it looks pretty rough, but if I'm just exchanging it anyway, is there any reason this one wouldn't work? Can I be certain it will be accepted for exchange, assuming the hydrotest date is good?

http://cgi.ebay.com/10-Pound-CO2-Al...ZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem

is the hydro test still good? if not you'll have to pay prolly $25 or so for a retest in order to exchange it or get it filled.

I got one of mine from the truck driver delivering CO2 to a bar for $45 filled

I got my other one from a scrap pile and exchanged it for a new full one

I don't know what it shows for shipping to you, but it shows $30+ to me. That is way NOT worth it when I can get new for that price ($80+) I was looking at Midwestsupplies.com and saw they have refurb tanks for $60 that are already good to go minus the gas.

MikeInCtown said:
I don't know what it shows for shipping to you, but it shows $30+ to me. That is way NOT worth it when I can get new for that price ($80+) I was looking at Midwestsupplies.com and saw they have refurb tanks for $60 that are already good to go minus the gas.

First off, that $60 refurb is a 5 lb tank. I'm looking at a 10lb tank. They don't have any used 10lb tanks. And midwest wants $10 for shipping which means you're paying $70 for a used 5lb tank vs $68.40 for a used 10lb tank.

And forget about buying a new one. Why would you? The first time you walk into a place to get a refill, they're just going to thank you for your new cylinder and give you a used one as your exchange. So why on earth would you buy new?

My apologies. I assumed a 5lb tank.

Plus, i said shipping cost is a factor as well. That link showed $30+ in shipping to me which puts the price higher to me than it does to you. Good luck in your purchase.

<was going to get myself a 5 lb tank, but found a used 20 lb for free with only a test needed>

MikeInCtown said:
My apologies. I assumed a 5lb tank.

Plus, i said shipping cost is a factor as well. That link showed $30+ in shipping to me which puts the price higher to me than it does to you. Good luck in your purchase.

<was going to get myself a 5 lb tank, but found a used 20 lb for free with only a test needed>

It's all good. You gotta remember when shopping on FleaBay that they don't make money/commission off the shipping charges. As a result, the prices are skewed relative to any website or brick&mortar. The sellers are trying to chisel eBay by jacking up their S&H costs. It's not that they're more expensive or cheaper... it depends... However, you can almost always assume the S&H will be higher on eBay because that lowers the cost of the auction for the seller. As long as you understand that and account for shipping when comparing prices across sources, you can get pretty good deals.

Cheers :mug:

Back