Do not order from stir-plate.com

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masonsjax

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Not to be confused with www.stirplates.com, which is run by a very good, reputable vendor that is active on this forum. Please buy from him, and NOT FROM stir-plate.com

stir-plate.com is a side project by our favorite vendor Tom Hargrave, of the infamous KegKits.com. Apparently, he sets up new web businesses with his free time when he gets a break from robbing unsuspecting homebrewers. Buyer beware, spread the word.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/read-before-you-buy-kegkits-com-120110/

From the bottom of stir-plate.com:
Contact Information

Postal address
12021 South Memorial Pkwy, Suite N-4, Huntsville, AL 35803
Electronic mail
General Information: [email protected]
Sales: [email protected]

From Tom Hargrave's most recent post on kegkits.com forum:

Brewing Beer / DIY Section / Re: Easy stir plate on: July 01, 2009, 03:57:52 AM
It's been a while since I've been on the list. I have been working 7 days a week & more than 16 hours most days through the entire month trying to keep up with everything.

Here's the latest on our stir plate.

http://stir-plate.com/

We have them in stock - the price is $89.95, including 2 stir bars.

If I was going to order a stir plate I would go with stirstarters.com. I just received my in a very fast matter and the quality is awesome

WOW !!!! M-effer!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Do not confuse this ass-hat with me and my stirplates.com website!!
When I scanned the message title my heart skipped a beat wondering who out there had a problem with an order and didn't give me an opportunity to make it right.

He even 'borrowed' from my sales information.

I knew I should have bought stir-plate.com when I registered stirplates.com

How lame...! We all know that stirplates.com is a trusted, good source for stirplates. Your name will not be tarnished by this dude. Heck, he'll be out of business in a few months and the domain will be free in a year anyways.

This is why pm's are a better way of sorting out problems with vendors. Instead of whistle blowing to the whole community.

WOW !!!! M-effer!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Do not confuse this ass-hat with me and my stirplates.com website!!
When I scanned the message title my heart skipped a beat wondering who out there had a problem with an order and didn't give me an opportunity to make it right.

I'll admit that I was confused at first. I've been shopping around for a stir plate and when I saw this thread I was thrown for a loop. Once I clicked the link I realized it wasn't your site. So, the good news, you're still in the running when I finally make my purchase! :mug:

FWIW, When i designed my stir plate, I played a lot with PWM circuits. The problem is it is difficult to get a fan type motor to respond well to a frequency range outside of our audible range of 20-20Khz. So every design I played with created an annoying hum and/or whine. I don't know that his does that, but below 20hz the pulse will studder the fan and it's pretty complicated to have it work above 20Khz.

The LM317 does not get hot at the current these fans take (at least mine doesn't).

If you're looking for a stir plate and you're not going to build your own, buy it from either me or stirstarters.com. I don't care for the case stirstarters uses and I prefer my circuit board but he has a good solid design otherwise and you can't go wrong with either choice.

I much prefer the honest, friendly competition from stirstarters than this clown.

This is why pm's are a better way of sorting out problems with vendors. Instead of whistle blowing to the whole community.

PM's are better in most circumstances. However with the rare vendor with chronic bad service "whistle blowing" serves to prevent our brewing brothers and sisters from making painful choices from known problematic vendors. I think kegkits.com definitely fits that criteria. I know I appreciate such information, just as I appreciate public posts on vendors who provide superior service.

In this case it is unfortunate that the problematic vendor registerred a site almost identicle in name to a trusted vendor.

PM's are better in most circumstances. However with the rare vendor with chronic bad service "whistle blowing" serves to prevent our brewing brothers and sisters from making painful choices from known problematic vendors. I think kegkits.com definitely fits that criteria. I know I appreciate such information, just as I appreciate public posts on vendors who provide superior service.

In this case it is unfortunate that the problematic vendor registerred a site almost identicle in name to a trusted vendor.

I agree, but a pm first would have saved Derrin from losing potential sales and having to defend his good name.:mug:

Using nearly identical domain names to blow smoke and confuse those browsing is as old as the Internet. While this doesn't go back quite as far as the Roman Empire, it's well established, and it's not going anywhere. Using and buying on the Internet has its risks, and it just serves to remind us all that it's still a caveat emptor world.

Personally, if I'm buying for the first time on any web site, I do some checking. Third-party reviews are excellent, as are comments placed on forums like this one by satisfied (or, in this case, the reverse) customers. If a person isn't willing to spend the time doing some checking, best to deal locally.

I agree, but a pm first would have saved Derrin from losing potential sales and having to defend his good name.:mug:

A PM to who exactly?!?!?!? Every single HBT member? That's who needed to know about stir-plates.com. Kegkits dot com is already a known schmuck entity and if he is doing another scam on this community everyone needs to know.

Especially Derrin, so he can begin to spread the word about the possibility of confusion.

i bought a bunch of tri-clamps from Derrin and got a quality product, fast.

WOW !!!! M-effer!

I bought a stir plate from Derrin and have been very happy with it. I hope he doesn't lose any business over confusion with that other site.

WOW !!!! M-effer!

I'm glad you posted this, because this is the association that I made and I'm contemplating pulling the trigger on a stir plate from you.

Derrin, as the OP, I want to apologize for any confusion I may have caused. I feel that this joker needs to be called out, but it's a real shame if it interferes with your business in any way. I added an obvious note at the top of my original post to hopefully help clear up confusion.

Derrin, as the OP, I want to apologize for any confusion I may have caused. I feel that this joker needs to be called out, but it's a real shame if it interferes with your business in any way. I added an obvious note at the top of my original post to hopefully help clear up confusion.

Thank you very much and no apology needed. I'm sure you weren't thinking of my little business when you came across the info. Thanks for the effort to straighten it out and really thanks for the heads up!

Thanks to everyone for the support. I admit I'm slightly distraught that a such a disreputable person has taken a website name so close to mine and that a couple other readers had the same confusion I did. However, I'm relieved in the amount of support I see from users that know who I am and even ones that I don't think are even my customers (yet) but know of me from other referrals.

Bargain Fittings suggested I put a "dont confuse me with" message on my site. While not a bad idea I don't want to draw any more attention to him. What I'm more worried about is people ordering from him thinking they are ordering from me and then getting screwed. Hopefully his rediculous price will keep people from ordering and I am going to put some copy on my sites about why I don't feel PWM is not a good choice for this application. (it's perfect for dimming an LED/LCD or controlling a motor on a scooter or cart) The PWM circuit I played with is actually not too much more to build than the LM317 circuit, maybe $5 additional cost and he wants ~$89 for that plate?

Anyway, sorry for the rant and thanks again everyone for the support and getting the word out to other brewers that he is not me!

Derrin

I bought a stir plate from Derrin and have been very happy with it. I hope he doesn't lose any business over confusion with that other site.

+1 I have bought 2 stirplates and several thermowells from Derrin (stirplates.com, now known as Brewershardware.com) and product quality plus customer service is second to none!!

I would not hesitate spending my hard earned cash on his products.

Perhaps one of the forum gods can change the subject of the thread to something like "Don't confuse stir-plate.com with stirplates.com!" or something like that.

This makes me wonder if someone ought to register keg-kits.com and put up a page listing all the woes people have had with the other site. :D

Okay Derrin, I've been leaning towards your product anyway, because I like several of the design features that you've already highlighted in this thread. Payday is not until next week, but I'm committed to purchasing my first stir plate from you sir! Expect my order in the next few weeks.

A few comments about the stir-plate.com website problem:

His claim that the LM317 voltage regulator generates too much heat is bogus. I can run my stir plate at the lowest speed setting, where one would expect the LM317 to get the hottest, and it doesn't even get warm to the touch! True, the PWM design is more energy efficient, but the energy saved in miniscule.

There won't be many of these units sold at $89 a pop.

Good customer service is something you have to work for to achieve. Derrin at stirplates.com does that. I aim for that goal also. The homebrewing community is well connected and it doesn't take many unhappy customers to turn a stir-plate.com into a laughing stock.

I much prefer the honest, friendly competition from stirstarters than this clown.

Good customer service is something you have to work for to achieve. Derrin at stirplates.com does that. I aim for that goal also.

Can you feel the love tonight....

Seriously it is nice to see some friendly competition between two vendors who, from what I've read, both make a great product. May kegkits.com/stir-plate.com burn in the eternal fire!!!!! :rockin:

In lieu of starting another thread I figure I'll just bump this one. I ordered from Derrin(via stirplates.com) on the 12th and haven't heard anything about my order. I emailed him a few days ago checking on my order status since his site says orders should arrive within 2-6 days and it's been beyond that; no response yet.

I'm really disappointed with all the positive feedback from the forum here and my vacation from work brewing plans are out the window since I can't get my yeast starter properly made now. If I would've known it was going to take two weeks or more to get my order I wouldn't have bothered ordering one and would have adjusted my plans accordingly.

I ordered a stirplate and 2L flask from Derrin a couple weeks ago. The product is solid, especially for the price. I'm quite pleased.

In lieu of starting another thread I figure I'll just bump this one. I ordered from Derrin(via stirplates.com) on the 12th and haven't heard anything about my order. I emailed him a few days ago checking on my order status since his site says orders should arrive within 2-6 days and it's been beyond that; no response yet.

I'm really disappointed with all the positive feedback from the forum here and my vacation from work brewing plans are out the window since I can't get my yeast starter properly made now. If I would've known it was going to take two weeks or more to get my order I wouldn't have bothered ordering one and would have adjusted my plans accordingly.

I'm really sorry about messing up your brew session and the lack of communication. As I mentioned in my email response; I got called out of town on business and have been in meetings for about 10 hours a day for the last week that all spilled over into business dinners. I was trying to respond to emails from my phone but don't ever buy an LG VUE. Anyway, that's no excuse for the bad communication , just the reason.

Being gone got me a little behind so my apologies to anyone whose order got delayed and I couldn't communicate with. Hindsight is always 20/20 but I should have put a note on the checkout page and enabled an autoresponder on the email so at least people knew what the situation was, next time I will.

Sorry again and thanks for your patience while I get caught up.

Derrin

Dude, I feel for you. I hate when I take time off to do something like this and it gets screwed up!! :(

In Derrin's defense, he also had a delay about a month ago because he was waiting on new parts for a better version of the stir plate base, the new feet seem to be VERY secure, and he was quite responsive to my emails. Do rest assured that, when you finally get it, the product is quite nice and, so far, seems to work really well.

Heres a link for a thread update... Found this link on another site...

http://www.whnt.com/news/whnt-home-brew-business-investigation-021110,0,7790979.story?page=1

From the article:
HUNTSVILLE, AL - Budweiser may be the king of beers but some consumers claim a Tennessee Valley man may be the king of rip offs when it comes to beer-making supplies. They say when it comes to their orders all they're getting is "less filling." Brewing your own beer in Alabama is illegal But selling some of the supplies online to make home brew is not. Even if you're not a beer drinker... this Taking Action Investigation is sobering for anyone who makes purchases online.

Tom Hargrave is a software engineer by day. A businessman by night.

Check out the comments section... he responds there...

Dude, I feel for you. I hate when I take time off to do something like this and it gets screwed up!! :(

In Derrin's defense, he also had a delay about a month ago because he was waiting on new parts for a better version of the stir plate base, the new feet seem to be VERY secure, and he was quite responsive to my emails. Do rest assured that, when you finally get it, the product is quite nice and, so far, seems to work really well.

I second that as i've had many PM's with Derrin and he's a straight up real deal of a person, tops on my list. he'll pull thru just give him a moment.

hey Shooter, i'm just north of you on an island, another 2 wheeler (9) of 'em.
Ride safe in this crazy bay area.

I second that as i've had many PM's with Derrin in the past and he's the real deal straight up type of person, tops on my list. he'll pull thru just give him a moment.

hey Shooter, i'm just north of you on an island, another 2 wheeler on the back mend with 9 bikes.
Ride safe in this crazy bay area they don't give a damn about running you over or pushing a lane in their cages.

[ Apparently, he sets up new web businesses with his free time when he gets a break from robbing unsuspecting homebrewers. Buyer beware, spread the word

I'll be the first to tell you that you are entitled to express negative sentiments about a company or person and that “truth” is an absolute defense against charges of libel or slander so is “duty to inform.”

So the statement: “He took my money and never shipped me my product.” can be a truthful accusation. It can also be construed as a duty to inform your peer group.

Expressions such as: thief, rob, pedophile, murderer, etc all speak to a criminal event. When you use language that speaks to criminal conduct you run the risk of being accused of some species of defamation. Yah it’ll cost the other guy maybe $10 to $50 thousand dollars to sue you and he will have to come to your home state to do it. But still~~~~~~~

Odds are super high that he won't have the jurisdictional requirement of amount in controversy, to get into federal.

The single best advice one can give people when transacting with online retailers with whom they don't have a prior relationship is to only use AMEX. If you don't have an AMEX card, get one. AMEX will protect you.

AMEX will reach out and take your money back from a retailer and all you need to do is call the 800 number on the back of your card. That one call initiates a "dispute." They take your money back, credit your account, and give the retailer a chance to respond.

If you don't use a consumer proactive card like AMEX ( & they are the only one I know) you are stuck with the courts.
At law, if you want to sue, you have to travel to the state where the online retailer is domiciled in order to sue. This is simply because unless they have an office in your state or some physical presence they won't have met the jurisdictional requirements for the long arm statutes to reach out and bring them to your state courts.
In reality you can initiate a law suit in your own state and chances are good that the retailer won't show up to defend. If they do show up, it’ll be what is called a “special appearance” and it’ll be just to contest the jurisdiction and you will lose. But if they don’t show up and you get a default judgment, then you still have to domesticate the matter in the retailer's home state to collect. If you do try to domesticate and collect, he will bring the matter before his state court and have the judgment quashed for lack of jurisdiction. But if your state has such a provision (and many do) you can docket your small claims judgment in your state’s superior court where it'll show up every time your bad retailer seeks any credit. He won’t be eligible for SBA loans, grants, school loans, personal loans, car loans, or credit cards. The annoyance factor will force him to pay your money back and get you to record the judgment as “satisfied.”

If you choose the litigation route, in your complaint, name the business and also owner in his personal capacity. Put it in the title caption and include a paragraph in the complain about why he is personally liable and accuse him in a titled paragraph of Fraud in the Inception alleging that he never intended to send you your purchase. Then demand trebles.
The reason to name the owner in his personal capacity is fundamental to your effort.
If you just name the business, he can close up shop and open another. If your judgment is as to him also, he can never escape it.

It's so much easier to use AMEX.
One phone call and they are your big dog.

ANY credit card company will do the same . I had fraudulent activity on my card and my Credit card company called me about them. I also had something never shipped by a online car part merchant for my Chevelle one call they took the money back all I needed to do was sign an affidavit that was mailed to me.This was a Visa card

Latest posts

Back