Corny Posts - rust question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pfgonzo

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just acquired my first cornys :rockin: and have a cleaning question.

I've removed the lid, posts, poppets, and tubes and everything is getting a nice long hot soak in PBW. (I'll stop by MoreBeer tomorrow for new o-rings.) Anyway, in looking at the top of the keg, there are some small spots of what I assume is corrosion on the post threads.

I fished a post out of the PBW (where it's been for 2-3 hours), and it too has some rust on the internal threads. What are some thoughts on how to get in there to scrub it out or otherwise remove the rust?

I wonder if you could soak and / or spray CLR on the rust spots? I've never tried it on brewing equipment admittedly. Have had one 'fail' using it in an attempt to remove rust on a chrome motorcycle exhaust fitting...otherwise its worked great in other applications.

I'll give CLR a shot. I read other posts (on other sites) suggesting oxyclean would eat at rust, but an overnight soak with PBW made no impact. Anyone tried hydrogen peroxide or Bar Keepers Friend on rust spots before?

Citric acid will also do away with the rust. Mix up 1 cup (dry measure) in one gallon of hot water (or the same concentration level) and let it soak. I find that overnight is more than enough time. Chances are as little as 30-60 minutes could be enough for you.

You can get citric acid powder on Amazon pretty cheap.

Back