Check it out! Plastic Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They really need to offer a Corny hatch and fittings option. But then, I suppose setting yourself up to keg HB in Sanke's isn't that much of a pain. At least you'd have a reason for a DIY keg washer.

Makes me wonder tho'. I know a lot of guys who do use Sanke sixtels for HB and you never hear them fuss about poorly sealing kegs. Maybe, despite the differing skill set needed for maintenance, they are actually easier to use.

I don't think that's a plastic keg, I believe it's one of the rubber coated metal ones...This guy talks about it and stripped the old rubber off it...

Morebeer's Brew Chat • View topic - Rubber Coated Keg

But he doesn't show the before pictures....

THESE are the only plastic kegs made, we have a couple threads on them here.

http://www.plastickegsamerica.com/

It's doubtful they would ever show up on craiglist since they have built in rfid chips embedded in them..

And know, they are not interested in selling to homebrewer's, we've checked already...

Yep...it say's on the CL Ad. Miller Brewing Co

It's one of their old rubber coated ones...strip it of the rubber and it looks like the one in the picture I linked to.....

I love my 1/6 bbl Sankes GilaMinumBeer. They do seal way easier than the Cornies as far as an instant seal with no "setting" with a blast of CO2.

Edit: Also, I have one of those plastic coated miller kegs in the 1/2 bbl size and I don't like them for anything other than aesthetically. They take longer to cool off and seem to keep sand and other grit they roll over.

i wonder if there are any homebrew shops saleing these ,, i know you said REvvy that thay dont want to sale to HBers but that just becase it would be lots of small orders with just 1 or 2 kegs and most homebrew dont have a taxid for wolsale ,, but on the quote page its said 10 to 1000 use this form i am sure if a home brew shop ordered 20 or 30 thay would do it

i wonder if there are any homebrew shops saleing these ,, i know you said REvvy that thay dont want to sale to HBers but that just becase it would be lots of small orders with just 1 or 2 kegs and most homebrew dont have a taxid for wolsale ,, but on the quote page its said 10 to 1000 use this form i am sure if a home brew shop ordered 20 or 30 thay would do it

BK just confirmed it...if you want do a thread search of the plastic coated keg threads, you will see the results of our inquiries...someone contacted them from here...they really don't give a flying frig about the homebrewing community at all...

Maybe down the line....if they don't catch on to the BMC crowd, or some craft/micro brewer explains a little about the homebrewing community to them...but for now they ain't into us.

And like BK said...they don't want to make ball locks.

ya i was not thinking of ball lock, i would use it just how it is.

but thay will most likly not ever do retail sales direct to a home brewer.
i cant imagen haveing much luck calling the company that makes kegs for Miller
and say , uh ya so can i buy one keg and will you put my name on the chime.

however if some one wanted to sale THEM as thay come to brewer, i am sure you could do so, so long as you meet there minium order regs

I love my 1/6 bbl Sankes GilaMinumBeer.

WTF? How do you ensure that they are clean? How do you sanatize?
How do you fill them?

Oh...I could be converted!

And I was one of the ones that inquired about the plastic kegs...I even offered to purchase 1000 of them and distribute them as a test batch if they would be interested...they said in no uncertain terms that they had no interest in providing such a thing.

Wow, they seem like they probably only do extremely big orders then.

Hey BK, they are easy to clean. Open em up and rinse, then oxy or PBW, then rinse, then star-san and seal em back up. Last purge the Star-San out with CO2 and you have a ready to use keg that is holding positive pressure.

I also envision a rig using a pond pump, a copper pipe spear, a garden tub, and a foot switch. For those of us who wait to clean until there is bulk.

Ever have any problems finding replacement parts for defective spears? Gaskets, springs, etc...?

I have seen the threads on breaking down the spears but, I wonder, how do you go about cleaning the spear itself? Do you just push your cleaning/sanitizing solution through it?

I've thought about it a lot too. It's not like I ever actually scrub the inside of my kegs. Just soak and blast. The sankey taps are more expensive than a pair of QDs, but as mentioned... probably less chance of leakage.

There are also a few hundred parts less on Sankes than Cornies, lol. I never worry to much about the spear assembly. I would like a recirculation system for constant PBW or Oxy movement, but is probably just insurance. I mean come-on, I clean a fermenter for Pete's sake (sorry Pete) and don't have problems. I do look inside my Sankes with a piece of mirror every now and then just to check. Also, I am unsure but I don't think you can autoclave a Corny's couplers like you can Sanke ;).

Using my nearly defunct Incorporation as a front, I have inquired for pricing on a meager order of (20) 1/6th bbl and (10) 1/12th bbl plastikegs. I guess we will see how interested they are in selling a minimum order.

The only real downside I see to these is their pressure handling abilities. Not so much for beer but for soda, if an owner chooses, they list as being able to handle a 1.5 Bar pressure which is only about 22psi. I suppose a soda could be carbed up with less than that but, I usually hear about 30psi as the standard. I could be mislead. As for beer, these should handle even the most fizzy of suds.

I'll post back "if" they choose to respond. BTW, my corporate front does have a FEIN and a taxid. The company is dead but has yet to be dissolved so, I am a legitimate corporation. For now. I had planned on dissolving the Inc. before the tax season arrives but might be convinced to keep it open a while if there is interest in these kegs and they will sell to me. I'll post pricing when/if I get it.

Edit: Whoops. Forgot about the old thread Chimone started. Took a bit to find it. I guess I'll see if they have re-considered their pricing or if wholesale means anything to them. (shrug)

the 1.5 bar was at 170°

max is 60 psi

Sorry BK i am at work and ofton type one handed on the phone
:)

Clayton, there is no shame in being Okie!!! LOL, I kid I kid. Now give me something to poop on. Oh, and I was born in red dirt ;).

I just realized there are 3 of us here, lol.

Hey Gila, I would be interested in a couple of the biggies if you can get them (crossing fingers, but I bet these guys are still asses). The weight is the main selling point for me. Kegs are just so heavy without a dolly.

Gila, if you manage to do this, bump one of the existing plastic kegs thread up so everybody can see the info we...A lot of people who were on those threads would love, I'm sure, to score them...

Was checking Sabco for their Sanke D parts. Not too bad really considering. (10) spears and lock rings for ~$120.00. Not likely they will need replaced frequently but, it's still nice to know where to get them if needed.

Clayton, there is no shame in being Okie!!! LOL, I kid I kid. Now give me something to poop on. Oh, and I was born in red dirt ;).

I just realized there are 3 of us here, lol.

ya i saw that too :) some day we will have to get together and have a home brew

I'll post back "if" they choose to respond. BTW, my corporate front does have a FEIN and a taxid. )

I gave them all of this...but I was trying to get them to send me something that they don't already produce. I'm sure that they will be willing to send them to you....now....build an adapter from Sanke to Ball Lock...and wer're set!

ya i saw that too :) some day we will have to get together and have a home brew

Yall ken tawlk Funne taeachuthrrr too!

Sorry...Clayton...Didn't mean to make fun of you Oakies and how you talk...er...type...No..>Wait, Yes I did....You guys talk funny!

Makes me sound better though, most of the world thinks I talk funny! So well....After enough Home Brew....we ALL talk a bit funny!

LOL, I make fun of how people here talk (not much but a little accent), and I was born and lived all but 10 years of my life. Fixin to drives me nuts!

Oh, and don't even get me started about Whallmarts and your trip to buysum dubbyadeeforties for to get them wheels off the new home.

LOL, I make fun of how people here talk (not much but a little accent), and I was born and lived all but 10 years of my life. Fixin to drives me nuts!

Oh, and don't even get me started about Whallmarts and your trip to buysum dubbyadeeforties for to get them wheels off the new home.

Fixenta is a Colorado thing....I use it all the time. I kida have a bit more of a drawl than most Coloradans....Course most Coloradans now are either from Mexico or California.

I gave them all of this...but I was trying to get them to send me something that they don't already produce. I'm sure that they will be willing to send them to you....now....build an adapter from Sanke to Ball Lock...and wer're set!

Add a Sanke tap to a homebrew kit

Not sure I follow the need. With this tailpiece assembly you can easily hybridize the system to connect to a standard coupler. Are you meaning to eliminate the need for the coupler?

IMHO, all lines should have quick disconnects in them if you want easy trade between systems or for other reasons. I personally chose to not need anything Corny, but because of my QD's if I ever was gifted a Corny full of beer I would only need to buy more QD's, use more line, and buy Corny couplers to be set without missing a beat.

Back