Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > "Cereal Killer" grain mill

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2011, 04:38 PM   #11
zip100473
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by microbusbrewery View Post
From wikipedia, "Although org was recommended for non-commercial entities, there are no restrictions to registration."
I stand corrected...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2011, 03:45 AM   #12
pdxal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 144

Just got a Barley Crusher a few weeks ago within 2 weeks of ordering.

Old 10-21-2011, 02:02 AM   #13
sandsquirt
Recipes 

They got a picture up now. Looks good for the price.

Old 10-21-2011, 02:56 AM   #14
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1302 Times on 1048 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsquirt View Post
An apparent Barley Crusher knock-off for $99 with free shipping?
You ain't kidding.

Who's gonna be the first?

Cheers!

Old 10-21-2011, 02:21 PM   #15
infection
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsquirt View Post
I would not buy an untested mill with no reviews
go with the JSP MAltmill

Old 10-31-2011, 02:53 AM   #16
MPAULSEN300
Recipes 

Default Cereal killler update

I am fortunate enough that the Cereal Killer Grain Mill is provided by my LHBS Adventures in Homebrewing. I can say they are a top notch business. As a matter of fact they just opened up a second location in Ann Arbor, MI. I inquired about this Cereal Killer and it was explained to me that a big reason for this new mill was because they could not procure the Barley Crusher in a consistent enough manner to keep up with the order demand coming through the store.

On Friday Oct. 28 I visited the store and was able to compare the Cereal Killer and the Barley Crusher side by side. Both mills come with a crank handle, metal hopper and a base to sit on a bucket. When it comes to the actual roller mechanism a person would be hard pressed to see a real difference between the two. They both have a thick aluminum base and adjustable knurled rollers (only passive roller is adjustable). The Cereal killer uses two thumbs screws as set screws. I liked this feature because it is nice making adjustments without using tools. There is a difference in the length of the crank handle. The Barley Crusher handle is a couple of inches longer than the Cereal Killer's handle. At first I thought the shorter handle was a negative because it was obvious there would be less torque. However, it also occurred to me that a shorter handle on the Cereal Killer would actually increase the RPM'S making it produce crushed grain faster. The shorter handle might be a perfect balance between torque and speed but having never used either the verdict is still out. However, using a drill on either of these would of course negate any differences in the handle lengths.

The Cereal Killer really shinned through with the superior workmanship on the metal hopper and base. My personal opinion is all of the metal work and base of the Cereal Killer appeared to be very uniform and built with a much greater tolerance than the Barley Crusher. Some of the fitment points, rivets on the Barley Crusher seemed sharp/uneven or to put it plainly it gave the impression of a rush job. I can't say that the "look" would make the Barley Crusher any more/less effective but if you were to pick one out for the showroom you would definitely pick the Cereal Killer.

One last note. The Cereal Killer is not a Chinese made knockoff. It is manufactured right here in Michigan. If anything I would consider the Cereal Killer to be an improved version of the Barley Crusher idea.

Will head out during lunch tomorrow to pick up the Cereal Killer Grain Mill. I can give you further feedback, after using it, if anyone wants to hear about it.

Mike

Old 11-02-2011, 01:00 AM   #17
sandsquirt
Recipes 

I would definately like to hear how things went with your mill.
Thanks,
Eric

Old 11-03-2011, 05:40 PM   #18
macdonaldtomw
Recipes 

So how did things go with the mill? Should I buy one?

I live on the east coast of Canada so the shipping could be pretty expensive

Old 11-04-2011, 04:47 PM   #19
MPAULSEN300
Recipes 

haven't crushed grain with it yet. Just bottled my last batch last night. But I can say it is has pretty much the same innerworkings as the Barley Crusher with some improvements. If you felt the the Barley Crusher would have met your needs then definitley the Cereal Killer would also. Am hoping to use it this weekend but I have a family with 8 year old twins so our plans can change on a dime.

Old 11-04-2011, 05:08 PM   #20
FastAndy
Recipes 

Liked 153 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I'm curious to hear how this mill works out. The only drawback in my mind that it only has a 6 month warranty and the Barley Crusher has a lifetime warranty. I dont know if that is worth the extra $40 or so for the BC.

Quick Reply