Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > "Cereal Killer" grain mill

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 11:39 PM   #101
tellyho
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Just wanted to provide my experience with the cereal killer. I ordered one this fall. I can't remember if its version 2 or 3. Whichever it is, it seems that they have solved the problems discussed here an elsewhere. I can set the gap accurately, the rollers are coplanar, handle is now optional (I run it with a 1/2" chuck drill and works like a champ), and all of the parts seem well-made and assembled. I'm on batch 4 with it and anticipate no problems.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2013, 09:31 PM   #102
elmito
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I just got my cereal crusher in the mail, looks pretty good. Just wondering what kind of drill attachment I need to run this with my 18v Craftsman. Could someone please throw up a link or a picture of the bit I need?

Old 06-21-2013, 09:37 PM   #103
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 616 Times on 456 Posts
Likes Given: 238

you shouldn't need a bit. just close the drill head directly on the mill's shaft.

Drinking: citra saison
Fermenting: a hop-bursted APA w/ Conan, a citra farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend.
Aging: a bunch of belgian and soured stuff.
Up next: either an imperial stout or something to use up my homegrown hops... TBD.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:38 PM   #104
elmito
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

ooooh, i'll give that a shot. most pictures i've seen here have some kind of attachment on the drill.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:54 PM   #105
elmito
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default works great

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell View Post
you shouldn't need a bit. just close the drill head directly on the mill's shaft.
Thanks for the help!

Just milled a handful of grain and trying to get the right spacing in the rollers. What do you guys use to measure the gap between the rollers? I'm thinking one of those little discs from autozone that are meant to measure spark plug gaps might work? Or do you folks just go by eye and see how the grain looks after the crush?

Old 06-22-2013, 01:38 AM   #106
hercher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmito View Post
Thanks for the help!

Just milled a handful of grain and trying to get the right spacing in the rollers. What do you guys use to measure the gap between the rollers? I'm thinking one of those little discs from autozone that are meant to measure spark plug gaps might work? Or do you folks just go by eye and see how the grain looks after the crush?
I use a credit card. I think if you read through the whole thread, or maybe its a different thread on the same issue, a couple people mention that as an easy way to set your gap. The disc you mention would probably work, too.

Primary: Amber Ale. :(
Seconary: Don't use one, generally
Kegged: Stein beer
Planned: Saison, pale ale, brown ale

"For a quart of ale is a dish for a king." - Shakespeare

Old 07-02-2013, 10:25 PM   #107
theQ
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 64

I got this 1 month ago and got to use it this past Friday. Took me more to 20 times more time to weight the grains than to crush them. I didn't measure the gap went with an aproximation since it has the marking on the side I'd say is 0.030ish.

How is the best way to measure that gap ? Where can I find gage pins? Any nails that could be that size ?

I got the expected gravity (1.070+) and I think this crusher did the trick. Almost got a stuck sparge so I need to play with the gap.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:34 PM   #108
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 568 Times on 483 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Feeler gauges. They are a collection of sheet metal rectangles usually riveted together so they look like a pocket knife. They fan out and you select the plate that you want, they are all marked. You can find them in any auto parts store and will work easier that a spark plug gapping disk, if those are the ones with all the loops. They measure in the wrong direction, inside the loops.

Old 07-03-2013, 03:36 PM   #109
theQ
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Thanks for the info I will stop to an Oreilly's Auto to have a look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kh54s10 View Post
Feeler gauges. They are a collection of sheet metal rectangles usually riveted together so they look like a pocket knife. They fan out and you select the plate that you want, they are all marked. You can find them in any auto parts store and will work easier that a spark plug gapping disk, if those are the ones with all the loops. They measure in the wrong direction, inside the loops.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:42 PM   #110
zilwaukee_pete
Recipes 

Default Cereal Killer Grain Mill

I have had one for about a year now .I have run over 200 lbs of grain through it without any problems, that is unless you use the handle that they charge an extra $5.00 for. As there add says almost useless. Just use a power drill motor but try to keep speed around 200--400 RPM

Quick Reply