New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > calibrating my keggle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2009, 06:48 PM   #1
DrugCoder
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default calibrating my keggle

I'm getting ready to do a test boil with my new keggle. Up until now, I haven't had the capacity to do 10 gal batches. On average, when you are doing a 10 gallon batch, what volume do you start out with in the BK? For those of you using keggles, how much do you expect to lose to evaporation during a 60 min boil? 90 min boil?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2009, 07:20 PM   #2
larrybrewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Somewhere around 1.5-2 gallons per hour will evaporate while boiling. It depends on the equipment.

Old 01-24-2009, 07:48 PM   #3
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrybrewer View Post
Somewhere around 1.5-2 gallons per hour will evaporate while boiling. It depends on the equipment.
I second what larrybrewer has posted.

Different people have a different opinion on what's called a rolling boil as I have seen agressive boiling with high evaporation rates vs a undersized burner on the edge below a rolling boil. On that one we used a welding blanket in a hurry wrapped it around the keggle for a big difference in the boil. The other thing is the diameter of the opening will change the boil off rate. My last set of keggles I cut a 10" opening vs 12". Those large diameter short pots expose a lot more surface area for a larger boil off amount. A 12" opening has 113 sq/inch area, 10" has 78.54 sq/inch area which is .694 of the 12". A 16" diameter pot has 201 sq/in surface area that is 2.56 times more than the 10" keggle. This is a reason why I went to 10" on the last keggles and will not own pots plus the kegs are free.

Bier Jagdwaffe... Bier 30 zeit.....~~=o&o>..........

Old 01-24-2009, 10:02 PM   #4
DrugCoder
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks y'all. Today is a no brew day but it is a build day. Just finished my new MLT made out of a 5 gal igloo cooler. I have it sitting with hot water to see how it holds temps over an hour. Time to go test out the keggle

Old 01-24-2009, 10:26 PM   #5
beerthirty
big beers turn my gears
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 11 Posts

Dont forget to calculate deadspace, including chiller loss if you use a cfc and fermenter loss. To hit a 10 gallon batch in my bk on a 60 min boil I start with 12.5 preboil. I normally do 12 G batches to take into account of fermenter and secondary loss, which puts preboil to 14.5G. If you push the BK this far don't forget foam control.

primary- Tangerine Dream, SWMBO slayer,
serving- amber ale hop experiment #6, Roggenbier, apfelwine
planning- Cru?
conditioning- 9/9/09 barleywine
Drink water?... Never, fish fornicate in it.--- W.C. Fields
Most problems can be solved with the proper application of force.

Quick Reply