The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Best way to clean corny keg

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2012, 03:39 PM   #11
DustBow
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricky101 View Post
That thing's sweet! The picture is pretty tiny, but is it just tubing, stainless "T", gas and liquid disconnects, garden hose adapter and some clamps?
Quote:
Originally Posted by beertastic View Post
Would make a good DIY thread!
Yeah, it looked like such a good idea but I thought $40 was kinda steep...especially since I had most of the parts sitting around.

To make it the easiest/cheapest way, you can use:
-Garden hose to 3/8" barb adapter
-3/8" tubing
-3/8" tee
-5/16" ID keg gas tubing
-5/16" swivels nuts
-pair of flare thread QD's
-connect all tubing connections with your choice of clamps

That's it.

I made mine a little nicer, and went with a special SS tee that has a 3/8" barb "top" and 1/4" barb "sides."
Then I used 3/16" keg beverage tubing for the runs off the 1/4" barbs to the QD's. I used Oetiker clamps on all the connections, I figure it should last just about forever.

I was lucky enough to find the special TEE at my LHBS but you can get them at CHI Company and Grainger too I believe. The SS tee obviously costs a little more in money and effort than a plastic tee from HD/Lowes, but then you can use the smaller tubing and use barb QD's without the swivel nuts. So it may all net out about the same.

I have a faucet to garden hose adapter on my utility sink. I keep one of those garden hose quick connections on that adapter as well. And then I have the hose quick connects on this thing and my other "cleaning hose" as well, so it makes for easy & quick cleaning for kegs, fermenters, kettles, etc.

"Brewing beer is neither complicated nor expensive. It's the responsibility of the brewer to make it as complicated and expensive as their spouse & budget will allow."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2012, 03:36 AM   #12
mattyb85
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Just wanted to say thanks to all the advice you guys gave I kegged my first two beers this weekend, an IPA & a red ale. I'll post to let you know how they turn out.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:15 PM   #13
oasisbliss
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Bad67 looks good ! would this work just as well with picnic taps ?

Old 12-18-2012, 08:21 PM   #14
remandsager
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfess1 View Post
I fill it full of PBW/water.
Let it sit for a half hour.
Hit it with a brush, and hook up a beer disconnect to my racking cane/tubing. Suck PBW solution back and forth through the dip tube.
Rinse.
Fill with Iodaphor/water.
Let it sit for 10 min.
Dump.
Rack beer and put on the cap.
Carb up.

Pretty much what I do - except after putting some PBW & hot water in the keg, and sloshing around, I hook up to CO2 & tap line, and run some PBW/hot water through the tap line - then let everything sit for 15-30 minutes. Then empty the keg through the tap, pushing it out w/ CO2. Rinse with water, same process. Sanitize everything with the same process. Cleans keg & tap line at the same time - seems to work...

Old 12-18-2012, 09:01 PM   #15
bad67z
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 106 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasisbliss View Post
Bad67 looks good ! would this work just as well with picnic taps ?
It should. The picnic taps I have disassemble.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:43 PM   #16
dfess1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by remandsager View Post
Pretty much what I do - except after putting some PBW & hot water in the keg, and sloshing around, I hook up to CO2 & tap line, and run some PBW/hot water through the tap line - then let everything sit for 15-30 minutes. Then empty the keg through the tap, pushing it out w/ CO2. Rinse with water, same process. Sanitize everything with the same process. Cleans keg & tap line at the same time - seems to work...
i just took some kegs apart on a whim. No problems with beer etc. But wanted to see if my method worked. You would NOT believe the amount of crap in the poppet. For the extra 2 min it takes, worth while to disassemble everything and clean it all.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:17 AM   #17
bad67z
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 106 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfess1 View Post
i just took some kegs apart on a whim. No problems with beer etc. But wanted to see if my method worked. You would not believe the amount of crap in the poppet. For the extra 2 min it takes, worth while to disassemble everything and clean it all.
+1

Old 12-19-2012, 10:51 PM   #18
phlite
Recipes 

Wow bad67z, that was a very thorough cleaning of the keg/lines. These videos make me rethink my sanitization methods of my keg, and how I rack into the keg. This may sound crazy, but I've never cleaned the valves, and the out "pipe" on my corny keg. Beers always tasted real good, but maybe they'll last longer, or taste better upping my standards . Thanks!

Quick Reply