Best use for 13.2 gallon keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billtzk

Reaction score
I am upgrading from my old single-keg 5 gallon system to a three-keg 10 gallon brewery as soon as my Brutus 10 clone is complete. And it's almost there.

I've got two 15 gallon kegs and one 13.2 gallon keg. The 13.2 is my original 5 gallon system boil kettle that I've used for several years. I will use one of my two 15 gallon kegs for my new boil kettle. Of the remaining two kegs, would the 13.2 make a better MLT or HLT? Are there grain capacity, grain bed drainage, or thermal considerations that would make one size better than another for MLT or HLT, or is the small difference in capacity and diameter irrelevant?

If the 13.2 has adequate grain capacity for my anticipated 10 (maybe up to 12) gallon brews and there are no negative considerations, I'm leaning toward making it my MLT so I'll have a little more clearance with it positioned between the BK and HLT. That'll leave me more room for insulation too.

What would you do?

I would use this as the 13.2 as HLT. Keep the larger 15 gal volume as the MLT. You never know when you will need the space in the MLT. (Think 10 gal Imperial Pilsner) You can make do with the smaller HLT since you heat water in stages.

I use my HLT for three things;
1) Heat water for the MLT Pre-heat
2) Heat strike water
3) Heat sparge water

Smaller mean less thermal mass: heats faster: less propane usage...

FYI - I use my old 7 gal brew kettle as an HLT, 12 gal cooler as MLT, 15 gal keggle as my MLT.

:mug:

well, I'm lazy and drinking Delirium Nocturnum, so I won't do the math for you, but...
If you made the 15 gallon the MLT, figure out what the biggest grain load would be and the necessary water addition would be for a medium thickness mash. If it is under 13.3 gallons (or even just a little over) make the 13.2 your HLT.

I'd agree with the HLT. You'll want to heat your strike water in the MLT anyway so you can be simultaneously heating sparge water in the 13 gallon HLT while mashing. No sparge for a 10 gallon batch would ever exceed 9 gallons.

The logic in favor of making the 13.2 an HLT makes sense. HLT it is, then.

Latest posts

Back