Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > "Bayou Classic" Mash/Lauter tun?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2009, 11:39 PM   #1
daveyohill
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default "Bayou Classic" Mash/Lauter tun?

Bayou Classic 32 Quart Tamale Pot

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on an all grain setup and I was wondering about using the aluminum "Bayou Classic" from the OutdoorCooking equipment site.

A fella could install a bulkhead fitting and ball valve below the "steamer" plate. Fit a piece of stainless screen or other mesh over the plate and use as a stovetop mash/lauter tun. If you watched your flow closely would you be able to avoid stuck mashes? Or is that just too much volume below the false bottom?

I originally posted this in the "Sticky" Aluminum thread but had generated no responses. I've been doing partial mash/boils for a year and am looking to upgrade to all grain soon. Being able to brew in my kitchen is important and was the major reason for the idea of converting a pot to a mash/lauter tun. If a manifold system is better that's the way I'll go. Is the bayou classic at all do-able?

Thanks, Davey O'

" Why can't I free your doubtful mind and melt your cold cold heart?"

On Deck: "Some Cascade Porterish Thing!"
Primary: "Glen's' Tree Stand, Wicked Brown Ale"
Bottled: "Goodnight Irene; Wicked Amber Ale"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2009, 02:16 AM   #2
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

It's certainly doable, but it won't be nearly as easy as you describe. I would go with a cooler conversion before I tried to make that kettle work. There's a little more involved than first meets the eye. Direct firing a mash tun doesn't work all that well either unless you recirc either manually or with a pump.

Old 09-05-2009, 02:55 AM   #3
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Plus it is too small for all that work. Like Cat says, you are much better off for less effort with a 10G cooler.

On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Quick Reply