10 gallon pot, any suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nasty_rabbit

Reaction score
I have an extra $200.00 with a possible $200.00 more if I split the purchase with the guy that I brew with and I/we want to get a 10 gallon pot with at least a thermometer and valve. I realize that the Blichmann boiler maker series fits this scenario but if I could save some cash and get something comparable I may be able to find a few more items on the wish list. Are these pots really worth the high end price or is the name part of the cost?

Don't really want to get into the whole SS vs. aluminum debate but I'm kind of partial to stainless.

Nice pots for the money here...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-40-QT-Q.../190803582236?pt=Cookware&hash=item2c6cc79d1c

You would need to add features you want like a valve and thermo, but that isn't that pricey. Blichman pots are nice, but man what a price...ouch!

Bobby M can get you nice quality valves, thermos, ect. at great prices to outfit a bare pot. If you have the money and are looking for something you only have to remove from the box, get a Blichmann.

wilserbrewer said:
You would need to add features you want like a valve and thermo, but that isn't that pricey. Blichman pots are nice, but man what a price...ouch!

I would be capable of drilling and installing weld-less fittings, welding stainless is another story. I guess a greater concern to me is the quality of the pot itself. Wall thickness, base construction (single layer vs. multi layer).

My take is that if you eventually see yourself adding a sight glass, thermo, dip-tube, ball valve, etc, then the Boilermaker is without question worth the price. You can start with a cheaper quality kettle up front, but you'll find that you won't be that far off the price of the Boilermaker in the end (after adding accessories). You don't need a clad bottom for brewing.

If you don't need all or most of those features, then consider the Concord pots on eBay. I have one and for the price they are a great bargain. However, I also own Boilermakers and the quality difference between the Concord and Blichmann is clear, you definitely get what you pay for.

The Bayou pots look really nice to me as well, what I have heard though is that they are thinner then most other kettles out there.

Nice pots for the money here...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-40-QT-Q.../190803582236?pt=Cookware&hash=item2c6cc79d1c

Bobby M can get you nice quality valves, thermos, ect. at great prices to outfit a bare pot. If you have the money and are looking for something you only have to remove from the box, get a Blichmann.

I just bought this 80 qt pot and it seems to be well built. I wouldn't hesitate buying another. If you don't want to convert it yourself just buy it from Spike Brewing. He's a vendor here.

http://www.spikebrewing.com

- Destin

You dont need a basket to biab. You just need to handle your hot sack like a man.
(Grain sack that is)

I got the 20 gal polarware pot for $200 shipped from beerandwinebrewing.com. There 10 gal ones are around $140 and I think they give the free shipping over $150 so you could buy a thermometer from them and be good. I have weldless fittings on mine and they are great.

I love my Boilermaker, the one thing that is unique about it is the fantastic integrated sight glass / guard assembly. Easy to clean, well protected, just a great design.

Other than that, I'd buy an e-bay or online pot and save the money.

Here is mine. $80 from amazon plus about $100 worth of bling from bobby m.

10.5 gal. Is thinner than some pots but I'm happy with it. When I upgrade to multi pot brewing system I imagine it will be my HLT and I'll get a 15 gal boil kettle.

Really do get a lot of se out of my sight glass, thermometer and valve, happy to have those and a 20 gague pot than to not have them but have a heavier pot.those

image-1157083765.jpg

Pulled the trigger on the Bayou Classic 1140 this afternoon at $150.00 shipped. Same plan as mentioned above, will use it as a HLT when I upgrade or for some Low Country Boil for the neighbors.

Latest posts

Back