Your three favorite hops for an IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just wondering what everyone's 3 favorite hops were for IPAs. Mine are amarillo, simcoe, and citra.

:mug:

Funny I'm making the same into a dipa with a touch of Apollo. But I love Amarillo, also cascade and I've made some good iPas with Galaxy. To many I love just to name 3.

Just three? Ok, hmmm.

Chinook, Centennial, Cascade.

I really like those. Chinook for the dark dank biting bittering, Centennial for its flowery aroma and smoothness, Cascade for its citrus hints and smooth aroma.

Love me some chinook for bittering. It even works great in an american stout.
For flavor/aroma it's all about mosaic and centennial.

I've also made some really good ipa's with eldorado and cascade. There's so many it's hard to just name 3!

Amarillo, Centennial, Simcoe.

Just brewed an Amarillo/Centennial IPA that I'm thinking of dry hopping with a little Simcoe to see how these 3 work together.

Citra, Simcoe and Amarillo. I need to try Chinook since that is what Arrogant Bastard uses. I'd also like to try Mosaic.

Coumbus for bittering then late addions of Simcoe and Amarillo, dry-hopped with all 3. This is my go-to for IPA's. There is just something about Simcoe and Amarillo together and I love how dank Columbus is.

Going American, I like Centennial, Amarillo, and Cascade. English, I'd go EKG, Challenger, and probably Target. I also like to use continental hops in my Belgian IPA, where I use Styrian Goldings and Strisselspalt, and I could see tossing some Saaz into that mix as well.

Nugget, mosaic, cascade (awesome combo)

I'm always experimenting...

Falconers Flight, MOsaic and....anything I haven't used before. I love to use new hops on APA and IPA recipes.

There was a big poll done for this with 192 beer geeks voting. The majority concensus was extremely close in votes, but for poll purposes, (in order):

Centennial
Amarillo
Simcoe

Citra and Cascade were the runners up.

Columbus nearby.

I personally love Simcoe and Columbus. These are the main hops used in both Heady and Pliny... And many more top rated IIPAs. Supporting hop choice to this combo doesn't really matter as long as it's a Pacific NW IPA hop.

Back