You must really like beer to spend that much on brewing.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heard it a few times myself but like others on here, I believe other people don't get it. The trip to LHBS, getting the ingredients, going home to sterilized equipment, brewing, pitching, seeing first bubbles in the airlock, anticipating what this ones gonna taste like! It's all just exciting! Then there is the sharing of your creation. (Which in my mind is second only to enjoying it myself). They simply do not get the fact that yes, I do love beer that much!:rockin:

My brother used to give me that crap. Now we live in South Florida and he likes to bass fish from his bass boat. I asked him why he spends all that money catching fish that he can't eat cuz the poison in 'em will kill him. Now he drinks my beer comment-free 😁

I'm new to homebrewing, but I've been a quiltmaker for...many...years, and it's the same thing: "Why would I spend $100 on fabric and cut it into tiny pieces and then sew them back together when I can get a blanket at WalMart for $10?" Well, as you said, the process and the community. Working at making something(s), broadening your knowledge, mastering new skills/techniques, learning to make adjustments to customize the end product, meeting new people who share your interest, visiting new shops/breweries...those are all more fun than sitting around watching TV with your factory blanket and your case of Bug Light.

tl;dr: Some people (we) are makers. :mug: Some people are sitters.

Hey hey! Congratulations on your first post, and welcome!

Your post helped me understand why people make such stupid comments about brewing. Other people's hobbies do not make any sense. :)

...but of course they do to you. Quilt on!

When I get that kind of reaction I usually try to divert from the time and money aspect and emphasize the technique, science, and details involved. It blows peoples mind how deep this hobby can get and what really separates good beer from great beer.

Any time somebody scoffs at the money I spent, I just reiterate the average cost per beer: about $1.50 after capital investments and ingredients. That usually gets them more excited than judgemental...

Unfortunately, we have become a nation of crap purchasers. Need furniture, go to Wallyworld and buy sawdust based crap for $100. Wanna get drunk, BMC on sale $30 a suitcase. Dinner, McCrap's pink slime burgers are "value menu" discounted deals!

If you want to buy art, quality, craftsmanship, you must be an idiot.

So, I am an idiot. I brew my own (wonderful, I must say) beer. If you can't understand the passion of crafting something great, enjoy your trip to McWallyMicroDisCrap world.

Rant over.

Unfortunately, we have become a nation of crap purchasers. Need furniture, go to Wallyworld and buy sawdust based crap for $100. Wanna get drunk, BMC on sale $30 a suitcase. Dinner, McCrap's pink slime burgers are "value menu" discounted deals!

So, I am an idiot. I brew my own (wonderful, I must say) beer. If you can't understand the passion of crafting something great, enjoy your trip to McWallyMicroDisCrap world.

Rant over.

Totally agree, BUT I must say I love a Big Mac and the resulting hot farts about once a year.:off:

It's not like brewing is my only hobby.

I don't think I could calculate the number of dollars I've spent collecting slide rules. All that adding and multiplying and dividing and stuff.

Nope.

I probably haven't spent more money on any other hobby, being only 29 years old I don't necessarily have that long view to suggest I won't pick up some hardcore gardening or wood working hobby. But this is the longest I've stuck with anything. And first hobby I've felt truly passionate about. I spend at least 2-4 hours a day reading something or listening to something brewing related to try and absorb additional information.

I have friends who say "wow that's expensive" when I've maybe spent 600$ on equipment not including stuff I've gotten as gifts. I don't think they take stock of the amount they spend every year on BMC, they go fishing and slam a 30 pack of keystone, I brew beer. We both have our weekend rituals. Fishing is fun, but I'm not creating future glasses of delicious beer while fishing.

I usually reply, "I love beer, I love the artistic ritual of creating it because I can pour myself into it and never feel lost, I like my job but I don't love it, no one will ever critique or test my work at my job but I can submit my beer or gift some beer to someone and they will be experiencing a small part of my being, my personality, even drinking my own creations I can taste the entire experience of creating this.
Other people have kids, I make beer, at least my beer doesn't make ****ty diapers for me to change".

Rant over.

I've never understood why some people derive enjoyment from buying and consuming prepackaged rubbish. Now, some people genuinely lack the free time necessary to make things themselves, but since I'm lucky enough to not be one of those people I'm sure as hell not going to spend my life eating microwave pizza rolls and drinking BMC. Nobody ever dies wishing they'd watched more TV shows.

It's not like brewing is my only hobby.

I don't think I could calculate the number of dollars I've spent collecting slide rules. All that adding and multiplying and dividing and stuff.

Nope.

Aren't those things supposed to help with calculations?

Nobody ever dies wishing they'd watched more TV shows.

I had a very dear friend who passed away -- young; in her forties -- who passed away before they resolved a couple of her favorite shows' story lines. Just sayin'.

On the flip side of your statement -- George R. R. Martin is not in the greatest of health; they've been expecting his death for a while now. I know a lot of people who wish he makes more TV shows before he dies.

Equally applicable to being a beer geek.

84415246.jpg

I get all kinds of flack for preferring craft beer. Then, just to address the economic aspect, a I calculate the ABV per dollar spent. I'm usually just a couple cents higher per fl. Oz. of ethanol. Not that that even matters, I only drink 1-2 beers per day on average. I spend less on beer than any of my BMC drinking friends.

I like your project. It is really awesome!

For me it was a matter of just getting a better variety and quality of beer that is being locally produced (about the same price as the cost of me to brew it). Also the imports here are usually skunked by poor shipping temperatures.

The hobby is more about doing something with instant rewards.

My bike however... spent at least $20,000 in the last 5 years for it plus all of the mods that I have done to it. The beer, maybe $1000 per year so far.

"You must really like beer to spend that much on brewing."

Has anyone else heard similar statements?

I'm building a Brew Pub in my garage and when I talk to friends, acquaintances, people at work, eventually I get the "wow you must really..." and there is a little bit of incredulousness to the statement. meaning why would anyone spend $6000+ on brewing.

Really?? I can hand out any of the following responses:

"How much was your 4x4 truck? Almost all 4x4 are recreational vehicles and not necessary for a family. (I've owned 2x Land Cruisers, 1x CJ7, and still have a 42' Willy's)."

What about your gun collection?
How many quads do you have?
Got a bass boat?
You golf every weekend?

Us brewers are not even in the same dollar league as some hobbies, but we still get "you spent how much, you must really like beer ?"

I'm not condemning their hobbies, how come they condemn mine?

I used to hear that all the time and also in regards to the quantity (usually 5 gallons) made at a time. and I'd usually drop down on their hobbies. where we used to live in WY, Campbell/Crook counties, there was a lot of oil/coal/methane money. far too many people were payment poor from all the toys and such. jet-skis, quads, big red Fords, guns (at least 3 in every cal.), cowboy hat & boot collections, boats, snowmobiles, etc. and not just the moderately priced range either, but the most expensive stuff they could find. and then the "man cave" garage built next to their run down '72 single wide trailer with all the fancy beer signs and bar stools. standing there in their $1,000 boots (jeans tucked into the top), $200 belt buckle they didn't win, and the $1,500 cowboy hat slurping down their BMC Light of choice saying crap like, "I just don't see how you can spend EIGHT DOLLARS on a six pack of beer." to which I liked to reply, "I just don't see how you can spend $2,500 just to look like a floccin' moron."

I usually respond with a question like "What do you think about someone who likes to bake for a hobby?"

I used to hear that all the time and also in regards to the quantity (usually 5 gallons) made at a time. and I'd usually drop down on their hobbies. where we used to live in WY, Campbell/Crook counties, there was a lot of oil/coal/methane money. far too many people were payment poor from all the toys and such. jet-skis, quads, big red Fords, guns (at least 3 in every cal.), cowboy hat & boot collections, boats, snowmobiles, etc. and not just the moderately priced range either, but the most expensive stuff they could find. and then the "man cave" garage built next to their run down '72 single wide trailer with all the fancy beer signs and bar stools. standing there in their $1,000 boots (jeans tucked into the top), $200 belt buckle they didn't win, and the $1,500 cowboy hat slurping down their BMC Light of choice saying crap like, "I just don't see how you can spend EIGHT DOLLARS on a six pack of beer." to which I liked to reply, "I just don't see how you can spend $2,500 just to look like a floccin' moron."

If you're not wearing a $200 belt buckle you may as well use an old fan belt to keep yer britches up, really.

I stopped adding to my cost spreadsheet when I hit $10k on our e-brewery but probably close to $15k at this point and I'm not even what you'd consider a beer drinker. I got into the hobby because it was something I could do with my boys as they are into craft beer and I couldn't put a price on the value of spending time brewing with them. Of course I absolutely love brewing so it's a win/win. As far as toys go this is not even close to the money I spent on my '67 Chevelle.

I had a very dear friend who passed away -- young; in her forties -- who passed away before they resolved a couple of her favorite shows' story lines. Just sayin'.

On the flip side of your statement -- George R. R. Martin is not in the greatest of health; they've been expecting his death for a while now. I know a lot of people who wish he makes more TV shows before he dies.

Valar Morghulis

I do often think about what size of a sailboat I could have in a slip if I had invested those dollars over the years instead of drinking them. But what good would a sailboat be without beer to drink on it?

As for the first part of your thought, I'm guessing you may have been able to afford one as large as 36". Maybe 40". The kind with a cool remote control? The whole boat thing is several orders of magnitude difference in cost.

Speaking as someone who's owned boats and airplanes...

OTOH, no one who knows me has ever thought to mention anything about how much money I spend on brewing :)

Its usually part of my personal introduction.

"Hi I'm Jordan and I really like beer"

After that when I show up with a variety of my own beers or crates cartons or totes I have also hand crafted to carry my own beer, no further questions are needed.

Compare to the money I've spent on cars and bikes and gear and tools and more donor cars for engine swaps and part outs trying to recapture some of the amount of money I've spent on the afore mentioned items- brewing is almost a drop in the bucket... I worked on my swap car a bit yesterday. In 2.5 years I've driven it 200 miles. And if I sell it, even finished, I won't ever recapture half of what I've put into it. At least with brewing the kegs I own have appreciated!

I don't feel like the statement is anything more than stupid. Of course I like beer to invest in the hobby. Duh. But I do get questioned a lot and especially since I'm investing a lot more now. It's a hobby and it is unlikely I will ever profit from it, so I understand the questions. If anyone who truly matters to me is worried, they know to come talk to me.

what reputable hobby is not cheap?

Many. I think. But what's a reputable hobby?

"I'm building a Brew Pub in my garage and when I talk to friends, acquaintances, people at work, eventually I get the "wow you must really like beer to spend that much on brewing".

Really? Because when I hear you say you are building a brew pub in your garage my first thought is "Holy Crap! That sounds like a fantastic idea! ... Then I start measuring my garage."

Not heard that particular line myself (yet) but people do shoot me the odd look here and there when they hear the size of the batches (5 Imp. Gal.) and how long it takes. Thing is I enjoy brewing and I really do quite like beer as well so it plays into two of my big interests: experimenting (and I'm a professional scientist, go figure huh) and cooking (the day I actually started trying beer and wine was the day I realised how much of the cooking world was shut off from me if I didn't at least try stuff out). Of course homebrewing followed soon after when I saw how expensive beer was here and how bland and similar most of the beer was. Read up on Palmer's book, brewed a 12-pack of nasty a$$ DME beer where I made more mistakes then I care to even think about(hence being nasty) and I was hooked! I try to get that sort of thing across but usually people are just dismissive, we'll see what they think once they try a bottle or two :D

I DO love beer. But I spend more money on fishing than I do on brewing. And I fish from an under $1000 kayak :)

Kayaking is so far and away more expensive of a hobby than home brewing. Just searching for a good PFD (life vest, SWMBO corrects me) you are gonna start at 100$, good carbon fiber paddle (God I want one of those gorgeous Werner all carbon fiber models) 300$, decent 12-14' recreation boat start at 1,000$(second hand you can get good deals). Never mind the 14 dozen other sundry items you need, I think this is why SWMBO doesn't scoff when I start talking about a new burner or converting a fridge to a kegerator, of my beer making equipment it's maybe 1/10th of what we spend on kayaking/camping gear.

(Don't even get me started on SWMBO's obsession for buying all antiques she finds that are just the right shade of turquoise)

Kayaking is so far and away more expensive of a hobby than home brewing. Just searching for a good PFD (life vest, SWMBO corrects me) you are gonna start at 100$, good carbon fiber paddle (God I want one of those gorgeous Werner all carbon fiber models) 300$, decent 12-14' recreation boat start at 1,000$(second hand you can get good deals).

I picked up a second hand kayak, the Perception Carolina for $600. It came with a 2 piece bent shaft Warner Kaliste. I could never rationalize spending that kind of money on a paddle, but i am glad I own it now.

I don't just "really like" beer, I love beer. But I know that someone who would make such a comment has a much different concept of what beer is than I do. I have friends that spend thousands of dollars and untold time either hunting or fishing. I don't fault them a bit for that but just roll my eyes when they say "I wish I had time for that" in reference to making beer.

Seriously, an average ale is way cheaper homebrewed than bought at a store. Unless you count corn-made mass-produced watery alcohol "beer". At that point it's apples and oranges.

I pay (very little) for the "science experiment" aspect of making beer. I try to minimize on my equipment and make everything as "ghetto" as possible.
I just enjoy making good beer cheaply. I can make beers that aren't readily available as well. Others might spend a ton on making homebrewed beer, and that's cool.
BMC drinkers will never understand home brewers, so don't even bother trying to explain it to them.

BMC drinkers will never understand home brewers, so don't even bother trying to explain it to them.

I have some good neighbors/friends who are BMC drinkers. But I have broken their home brew virginity - they think the whole process is cool, and really like the beers I make. I think maybe seeing the process in action makes people understand why this is a cool hobby.

I work with a guy that loves beer also. He has a full time job that pays well but I work with him as a contractor, which he does on the side. First time I worked with him he was complaining how hung over he was. First time I was on a trip with him, he was swilling Coor Light, like it was water, well it is but this was in Mexico where he was paying a premium for the swill.

So I figure this guy really likes beer, and needs to work a second job to pay for all the Coors Light he drinks each year. Except for the fact that making a beer as boring as Coors Light would very difficult to make, he could benefit from brewing his own.

Latest posts

Back