You know what beer I miss?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnickASaurusRex

Reaction score
I miss New Belgium, Springboard. Mmmm that was delicious.

What retired brews does everybody else miss? It can be and brand.

Lazy Magnolia's Blue Heron and the Amberjack wasn't bad either!

Schlante,
Phillip

I miss Shiner Bock. Granted, it's not the best beer ever, but I grew up with the stuff, and there were even a few places in Okinawa where I could get it on tap. It always reminded me of home.

Now that I'm in South Dakota (the choad of America) I'm hard pressed to find anything decent, and Shiner is right out of the question. :(

Hey even I miss Springboard. It was worth the name. Nowadays cheap beer aren't available easily.. so miss those 2.! Its getting really costly.!

Weeping Radish Corolla Gold Helles Lager. After the hurricane came through the outer banks, they stopped their national distribution plan.

shiner made a decent kolsch for awhile, i miss that

Now that you mention it, I haven't seen the Kolsch in the stores for quite a while now.

It might be piss beer, but I miss Labatt Blue, that was what I drank in college. You can get Blue down here, but it just doesn't taste right.

Hmmm... this brings back memoris for me. My unlce was a big fan of German beer so at the time he was into Lowenbrau and of coures got his younger nephew into it also. I wish he were still here to taste some of my homebrew I'd make him proud.

While I never had it, I wish I would have been able to try Ballantine Burton Ale

"Ballantine also produced the famous Burton Ale, which was not sold but given to prized customers every Fall. It was aged for not for mere months but for 10 years in oak tanks and considered a rare treat. There is a story that it was the Burton Ale that inspired Fritz Maytag, the heir to the appliance empire, to purchase the failing Anchor Steam brewery in San Francisco in the 1970s to produce similar top fermeted ales; thus launching the micro brewery revolution in America."

Ballantine Ale

Did they discontinue Springboard? I knew it was seasonal, but I could have sworn I saw it last spring

I miss Pearl....LMAO..

Ugh, that is one I DO NOT miss... Most cheap beers taste alright when you are half smashed, Pearl made me want to gag... That and MD 20/20... Two things I could never choke down no matter how poor and desperate for a drink I was...

As far as beers I DO miss, I cannot remember the name of it, but it a sorghum beer I found in Ohio I drank when I was there, and a brewpub in Indy had an awesome rye pilsner. For the life of me I cannot remember the names of either, but they were good.

I miss Red Oak Amber- they still make it in NC, but I don't live there right now, so I miss it. Anyone who happens to be in or near Greensboro, seek it out.

Magic Hat's Humble Patience. One of the first micro's I fell in love with. It makes me wonder exactly at what point Magic Hat decided to stop making good beer.

For me -Victoria.Had it in Cancun in 2001 at a time when I was drinking BMC and didn't know any better.It opened my eyes and I started trying other beers which led to me starting homebrewing.I don't think it's available in the states but my beer tastes have changed so much I doubt it would taste as good now as it did then.

Little Kings in the little 7 oz bottles. Not because it was particularly good, but because it was the beer of my youth. Back then we though "skunky" was something to strive for.

worldcup2.gif

Just can't get it here in the Colonies anymore.

Dash it all, what?

downed.gif

Bloody good beer, that. What think you, Mr Ex-pat Gnome?

Bob

I miss New Belgium, Springboard. Mmmm that was delicious.

What retired brews does everybody else miss? It can be and brand.
I miss young's oatmeal stout.
I bought a single just to give it a try and went back next day and bought the last 4 bottles in the store after finding out that it had been retired. It was kinda sad to find the best beer I have ever tasted only to drink up the last of it. But I researched it and I'm able to brew a good oatmeal stout that everyone likes.
baru

I wish I had a sixer of Falstaff just to see how well my memories of it hold up to today's offerings.

Ole Dizzy sure liked it, too!

Pogo

For me its Hacker Pschorr Oktoberfest. Probably still made but I haven't seen it in a store in a decade or more. This was my favorite beer back before craft beers were generally available. This and Brador by Molson.

12 Horse. Same brewers that made Genesee brewed it.

I grew up between NW Pennsylvania and Upstate New York and drove all over most of that rural countryside. One day in 2004 I was driving through a small Amish town (of many on the way to my dad's house) and drove past a small pub out of someone's house. It had an illuminated "12 horse" sign over the door. I turned around and stopped. I hadn't seen the beer anywhere in at least a year around my area, so I had to stop and grab one. I go in and was told "They don't make that anymore." Ended up having a Labatt's in bitter disappointment.

I really miss being able to drink cheap beer and enjoy it

I'll second that. Stroh's in those short fat bottles in the mid '70's. I still drink cheap beer, but it's good...because I make it!! :rockin:

Catamount pale ale (no longer with us), and Victory Hop Devil (can't get it where I am)

worldcup2.gif

Just can't get it here in the Colonies anymore.

Dash it all, what?

downed.gif

Bloody good beer, that. What think you, Mr Ex-pat Gnome?

Bob

Haha!!! er, I mean, I dunno. I'm not familiar with that beer. :(

I LOVE the advertising though! :D

trivia sidenote: The Spitfire (The plane, not the beer) was designed and built mostly in my home town!.......We needed more beer really, though.

Well, damn, Gnome. I'd've thought you'd know it.

It's an ESB, probably the best I've ever had in a bottle, in the USA, imported from Britain. And now you simply can't get it in USA. Dunno why.

Barstards.

Bob

LOL Blatz! I miss it cos I drank alot of it in my hobo days. Along with National Bohemian and Old Style.
I also miss Young's Ram Rod. Not that I ever drank it. I was always amused that it came in a 1L plastic bottle with a sport top. Like you'd drink it while you were jogging or something. I haven't seen it anywhere but Marty's or Blanchard's in Boston.
I miss all of Yeungling's beers. Can't get em here. Used to be my favorite brewery. I have a Black and Tan poster on the wall and a driver's jacket patch on my biker jacket.
The beer I miss for the flavor and quality of it is Harpoon IPA. They still brew it, but you can't get it out here. I drank a case of it when I was home a few weekends ago. Wish I coulda brought a truckload home with me.

Back