Yet another - No bubbles - Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zolon

Reaction score
Ok, I am probably being paranoid, and I have been reading threads for the last two days that pretty much confirm it.

I got a BestBrew Kit - Chocolate Milk Stout

Followed the directions, doing a partial boil with top off.

First, the top off. I know I didn't mix it enough. Got that figured out when I grabbed the sample for OG, pitched the yeast, and then did my measurement. Should have waited to pitch until after reading, but.. 1.018.. Should have been 1.054. Yet, as I said, I know I didn't mix enough.

Since I already pitched the yeast (SA 05 Dry Ale), I put the lid on the bucket fermenter, put the three piece airlock on, and moved it to it's resting space.

I did all of this Saturday night. As I didn't see any bubbles in the three piece airlock I started reading, and saw some advice on popping the top to take a quick look.

Lots of "foam".

Now, I would take that as it's fermenting.

Now, Monday, and I still have not seen any bubbles in the airlock.

Yes, I know bubbles are not the end all be all. The temp on the stick on gauge is 72F.

The questions, finally.

1. As I didn't mix it enough, would it be out of place to grab that bucket and shake the all living #$#$ out of it?

2. As bubbles are not the end all be all, what is the "best" method for knowing the yeast are doing their job?

3. As the "best" is normally gravity readings, should I pop the top, get a quick sample, and then check again in a couple days?

When I did meads 15 years ago, I used nothing but glass carboys. So, not being able to see the activity in the side makes me fret more about it.

Thanks,
Z

As a fellow "bucket brewer" I understand your stress about the lack of airlock activity. We both know it's not the airlock that means it's fermenting - gravity readings do, but I'll openly admit that airlock activity seems to help my anxiety. When I see the bubbles going (usually 12-18 hours after pitching), I know I can let the yeast work away and in a month or two I'll be happy.

Now, as for your 3 questions:

1. I would NOT shake your carboy at all. It probably would result in oxygenation, which you don't want. You CERTAINLY don't want it AFTER fermentation is complete, but I wouldn't risk it during fermentation either. Some might disagree, but since you see foam (krausen) the less you do to your beer from here on out, the better.

2. Gravity readings, gravity readings and more gravity readings. Take 2 a few days apart. If they're the same, it's fermented. However, just because you've reached stable gravity doesn't mean you should rack or bottle. Another week (or several) help the yeasties clean up after themselves, most say. However, in my experience, as long as the gravity is stable, you CAN bottle. SHOULD you - probably not - patience is a virtue. You'll have bottles that you can open safely (non-bottle bombs), but the contents of those bottles should be better with more time in the carboy.

3. Yup - see above. However, I would not take the first reading until AT LEAST a week after brewing. No use using a bunch of ounces of beer for samples and thus, you're losing a beer or two in sampling volumes.

Hope this helps.

First, the top off. I know I didn't mix it enough.
What do you mean here? Mix enough what? Mix enough malt extract?

Lots of "foam".

That's Krausen and it means it is fermenting, you are correct.

1. As I didn't mix it enough, would it be out of place to grab that bucket and shake the all living #$#$ out of it?
I don't know that that would make a difference honestly. 1.018 is a very low SG. What was the volume that you pitched into? What was the temperature of your gravity sample?

2. As bubbles are not the end all be all, what is the "best" method for knowing the yeast are doing their job?

3. As the "best" is normally gravity readings, should I pop the top, get a quick sample, and then check again in a couple days?
Your #3 answers your #2. Gravity readings are the best way to tell that you have fermentation going on, even without krausen. I would take a gravity reading today, wait a few days, then take another one. Worse case scenario You get a 2% milk stout and have to try again.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Ok, I am probably being paranoid, and I have been reading threads for the last two days that pretty much confirm it.

I got a BestBrew Kit - Chocolate Milk Stout

Followed the directions, doing a partial boil with top off.

First, the top off. I know I didn't mix it enough. Got that figured out when I grabbed the sample for OG, pitched the yeast, and then did my measurement. Should have waited to pitch until after reading, but.. 1.018.. Should have been 1.054. Yet, as I said, I know I didn't mix enough.

Since I already pitched the yeast (SA 05 Dry Ale), I put the lid on the bucket fermenter, put the three piece airlock on, and moved it to it's resting space.

I did all of this Saturday night. As I didn't see any bubbles in the three piece airlock I started reading, and saw some advice on popping the top to take a quick look.

Lots of "foam".

Now, Monday, and I still have not seen any bubbles in the airlock.

Yes, I know bubbles are not the end all be all. The temp on the stick on gauge is 72F.

The questions, finally.

You can if you want to oxidize your beer. The yeast have already thoroughly mixed your wort. Lots of activity once the yeast start working.
Open the lid and take a look after a two days. Be sure to sanitize the lid and rim before opening. Some tap the lid on with a soft mallet for a better seal.

You know it is fermenting, wait at least a week for your first SG reading. Two week even better. Don't let the temp go over 72°F, that is the upper optimum temp for US-05.

When I did meads 15 years ago, I used nothing but glass carboys. So, not being able to see the activity in the side makes me fret more about it.

Thanks,
Z

I like to see what is going on. I'll always use glass. Maybe a plastic Better Bottle some time. Received a free one from NB during a special.

+1 on getting a better seal.
I had a similar issue on an early batch where the air lock was doing nothing after 2 days. I simply pushed down on the middle of the lid lightly to see if the seal was good. If the seal is good, you will force air out of the buck through the airlock and will see the 'cap' rise a bit. If the airlock is not moving, you don't have a good seal somewhere. Press all a round the lid and you will probably hear it 'pop' on tight when you get to the unsealed spot.
Becareful not to push too hard on the middle testing the seal. If it is sealed and you force out too much air, there is a very good chance that you will suck in the liquid that you have in the airlock. That in of itself should not be too bad of a thing, but there is always a chance of infection if you do suck that liquid into your beer.

What do you mean here? Mix enough what? Mix enough malt extract?

I didn't mix the added 2.5 gallons to the ~2.5 gallons of wort to equal the 5 gallons enough. I poured, stirred for only a couple of minutes, took a sample, pitched yeast, then measured the OG.

As this says to move to a secondary fermentor on day 5 (by siphon), I will do another reading then.

When I push down on the lid of the bucket, the airlock does react.

Thanks again,
Z

I would recommend not racking to another vessel on day 5. The yeast just doesn't work on a schedule like that. Leave the beer in primary, take a SG reading at ten days to two weeks, take another reading a few days later. SG readings that are the same mean you have reached Final Gravity and the fermentation is complete. In a few more days the beer will clear and then you are ready to bottle. You can also wait to bottle when the time is convenient.

I would recommend not racking to another vessel on day 5. The yeast just doesn't work on a schedule like that. Leave the beer in primary, take a SG reading at ten days to two weeks, take another reading a few days later. SG readings that are the same mean you have reached Final Gravity and the fermentation is complete. In a few more days the beer will clear and then you are ready to bottle. You can also wait to bottle when the time is convenient.

This is a stout, and I have to add the cocoa nibs and spice pack on day 5.

I would leave everything be. You saw foam on top, that means things are happening. You really don't want to keep popping the top - as others have said, that could lead to oxidation and other bad stuff.
Personally, I would wait until at least a week, probably closer to 2, before adding the cocoa / spices - then allow a week or so for it to do it's thing.
Best bet is to leave things along for a while. Don't always go exactly to the schedule on the instructions - yeast can't read and take their time to get things done and get it right - even if it doesn't look like anything is happening, rest assured, there is still work being done in there.

I have a blonde ale brewing and have had zero airlock activity but I know it is my Brewcraft lid not having a tight seal and I see plenty of kraussen. Relax and let's have a beer, it will be OK.:mug:

I recently brewed an oatmeal stout, had zero airlock activity, bit my nails the entire time, took the advice of the forum and waited a week and did gravity reading, and it turned out great.

I'd take the foam for Krausen, and assume all is well.

Thanks everyone.

I will wait a couple extra days before moving it to the secondary fermentor (glass carboy) and adding the cocao nibs. As you all have said, yeast itself can't tell time.

Only reason I am using the secondary is I want to be able to see it. I will be picking up one of the NB wide mouth carboys for the next batch.

Quick update. I waited the extra couple days, at least for the krausen to drop. Just transferred to the secondary fermentor, and took a gravity reading. 1.024. Next week I will take another gravity reading, but this reading is what is expected for the kit I used at this time.

Took a small taste of the sample I used to read gravity, and it's already tasting really good. Even had the wife taste it, who is on the fence about me brewing to begin with, and she said it was really good. So, 7 days, tastes really good to the wife.. I'm on the right track.

Thank you all. :)

Zolon's X-Pen Chocolate Milk Stout is well underway thanks to the advice from this thread. :)

10342414_10204465535670360_3213251630727840777_n.jpg

Another update: The chocolate milk stout is going well. I will notice the airlock about twice a day move around. Friday I pull a sample to get a gravity reading, and then again on Saturday to see if there is any change. If no change, I move to bottling.

I also just received the rest of my holiday presents my wife told me to get.

10869877_10204528984616544_2989762037425419142_o.jpg

It's going to be a fun couple months. :ban:

-Z

My final update on this thread.

Thank you all. It tastes a bit sweeter than expected. I don't think the ABV is where I wanted it. Yet, none of that matters. The wife likes it and says I can keep brewing.

Oh, and only 2 weeks in bottles.

10626279_10204776261118302_106791695885998135_o.jpg

Latest posts

Back