Yet Another Basement Brewery...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lextasy23

Reaction score
So, I figured it was high time that I started my own basement brewery thread. We just bought the house a couple weeks ago, and I have given myself a conservative "deadline" to have the project completed by a year from now.

I've been slowly hoarding equipment in my storage unit, and I've got most of it ready to go:

5' and 6' Stainless work tables (from a closed restaurant - currently sitting in wit2003's shed brewery)
7-1/2' 3-bay Stainless sink (Craigslist)
2 15.5-gal pots
Cooler Mash Tun (may upgrade to a third pot in time - I was given it from a buddy/member here who went from home brewery to having beer on the shelves in local liquor stores, so it has a sort of history, story, and slight sentimentality)
TONS of stainless fittings and valves.
2 stainless Chuggers (bought exclusively with Amazon credit card points and gift cards!)

I built the brew panel over the course of the last year, entirely from scratch. The "low current" devices are out of China from eBay, and the devices that carry the heavier loads, and all the 240v components are name-brand American devices (breaker, contactor, SSRs, etc).

Brew Panel:
Started as an idea, inspired by Kal @ TEB, and I took it and ran with it to make it my own. I do have a thread just for that here.

Here's the final schematic I used to build it:
Brew-Panel-v7---WIRING.jpg

The cover I had laser cut and reverse engraved out of thick Plexiglas:
1509688_10155185305160078_781727761089726234_n.jpg

Here it is throughout the process:
10968560_10155224425360078_4770452976449029221_n.jpg

10978670_10155210895105078_743293265841403348_n.jpg

20526_10155224423830078_2605468193656732375_n.jpg

10958067_10155225100770078_8171160707761706451_n.jpg

I did LED side lighting to illuminate the engraved lettering on the PlexiGlas, you'll see that in the video better than I can describe it. It is connected to 120v only (so no volt/ammeter, and no heater functionality), and I apologize for the fingerprints and dust... It needed a cleaning then.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8-ZPSt-w2I[/ame]

The controller has since been outfitted with Auber PIDs (with their new matching timer), and a Kal-inspired Safe-Start circuit (with my own twist). I also added some safer features like having the e-stop be a NC switch for the main contactor, rather than having it NO and close to essentially short out and trip the breaker. That's bad news and could arc or flash or worse...

The Brewery:
So as I mentioned, we recently bought our new house. The "agreement" was that she could pick the curtains and paint colors and whatever other crap she wants to fill the house with, and I get the basement (which is already half finished) and my upstairs office (which is the only room yet to be unpacked). You can imagine my excitement - I get free reign to build a brewery, and I don't have to pick out curtains or paint colors. lol

Here's the plan:
Capture_1.jpg

This guy will go on the mantown side of the brewery, to indicate brew status:
10492184_10155186514235078_4401306210061284048_n.jpg

Here's what I have in that space now:

385E6E54-5E0D-47A8-A804-07DECCAA160F.jpg

The brewery will be basically from the left rear of the picture, to halfway through that shelf of paint, towards you to about a foot shy of the pole, and back to that left wall. There will be a door towards you so I can make a straight shot through the brewery with large things that need to come into the basement, and another door on the left - all glass - that leads to mantown and the bar area.

My plan is to first relocate the laundry to where I have it depicted in the floor plan above. My cousin is an electrician, and I have a buddy from High School who's a plumber. Between them and the fact that I'm an unlicensed handyman who knows what he's doing (lol), I figure that ought to be easy. My cousin is actually in the middle of replacing our 200a panel. I had him replace the mains from where the pole terminates at the top of the house, the meter, and the line to the panel. The panel and all parts are in the basement now and he'll be back soon to wrap that up. Point is, dryer and brewery will be on brand new circuits on a brand new panel.

My system will actually use 4 pumps and two burners that can run simultaneously, if you wanted to do a double brew day (we certainly have before). two are your standard chugger, and two are 100c rated 12v DC food-safe recirculator pumps - they'll keep the mash flowing at a low speed, and keep the HLT water recirculated so there's no heat layering in the pot. They're also a LOT quieter than chuggers. The chuggers will be almost exclusively for transferring.

I also added another custom touch... I have all 3-way valves (five of them), so there will be no swapping hoses during brew day. Connect everything up, then it's just a matter of turning switches on the panel, and valves on the brew table. I have that all planned out in a schematic, and my plan is to fabricate it out of CPVC first, test operation, then convert the CPVC to 1/2" stainless tube with compression fittings. I have lots of those too.
Here's the diagram:
plumbing.jpg

In the end I want to make a manual too. That part would be just for fun mainly, but realistically it would have all the electrical and mechanical diagrams, valve operation, panel operation, troubleshooting, etc... "Not sure how to make beer? Here, read this and go make beer..." sort of thing lol.

Well like I said, I thought it was high time I started my build thread. I just couldn't bring myself to starting a brewery thread before I even owned a house to build a brewery in (though that didn't stop me from saving up gear for the last few years!)

Got some walls up over the weekend, sorry no pics yet :(

Been fighting back and forth with the building dept and the board of health... The inspector is cool, but the board of health wants to determine the impact on my septic system. Oh, you mean my 440 gpd septic system? What, pouring 20 gallons of water into it? First he tries telling me that brewery sanitizers are hazardous chemicals that cant be discharged into septic. So I sent him their MSDS. Now he says I need to upgrade my septic if I add any more rooms. So I told him I'll be expanding the finished basement (so the room count doesn't change) or that he should consider this room not part of the habitable space (because it's more like a utility room than a living room/bedroom).

Anyways, I've been picking out parts. Going with a custom look to everything like I always do.

Gonna get some of these for the Chuggers:
outlet.jpg

With this cover:
cover.jpg

It bugged me that the GFI outlets for chuggers in most peoples breweries were two outlets. What's the other for? I'm also thinking about going with waterproof outdoor covers instead, but not sure yet.

For the 240 side, I also just bought 2 of these:
240outlet.jpg
I'm thinking of these covers to match, but again I may go outdoor waterproof.
240cover.jpg

Also just ordered some aluminum project boxes for the sides of the kettle and HLT, to house the heater elements, wiring and pilot light.

Meanwhile, to avoid threadjacking elsewhere...

• Dryer cord is unwieldy during use - it just doesn't bend easily and won't lay flat on the ground.
  • It maintains bends after you store it.
  • The connector is not meant for repeated in/outs. It's a PITA.
  • The cord is gray, which shows dirt, and looks crappy soon after it's first used, then forever after.
  • The ridges in the cable hold crap that is not simple to clean out.
  • It's not round, so good luck with adding connectors/glands.
  • Off-the-shelf dryer cords come in one length, about 6' from memory.

Thanks man... Those are awesome reasons and I'm glad you caught me before checkout. I think I'll build exactly what you have!

EDIT:
...then I did a price comparison and you're 3-4 times my cost. I'd love to go that route, but I'm building the WHOLE brewery right now, so I have to cut expenses (where safe). I can (and probably will) upgrade later, but for now it's just get it in. I did opt for things like all stainless plumbing, stainless chuggers, pots, fittings, tables, etc... But I have to go with like vinyl peel and stick floor, gas station bathroom walls, etc.

Get it in, make beer, then drink beer while i have subsequent weekend upgrade projects :)

Your call. At least you dbl-studded that doorway. I've seen bad builders not do that. Ugh.

PT plate too lol. Construction I can do. Previous life.

My main problem is the honeydo list. ****ing killing me right now. I got like 2 hours in the brewery Sunday.

Gotta have the balls for it;) Congratulations.

You may have drilled first but that looks like a punched hole to me...well maybe not...

SLOW with a stepped bit and oil.

Drilling stainless is a huge pain in the ass, but the key is not overheating it, and using plenty of oil. I used PB Blaster because it was the closest to me lol.

3 down, 3 to go :)

maybe someday grad school will be done and I can get back to building my brewery...or hell even brewing beer.

Finished the HLT last night, minus the coil, temp. sender, and whatever I plan on doing for a sight glass.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1441905906.456772.jpg

The 3/4" camlock fittings in the picture are just resting on the 1/2" threads, the reducer bushings are on their way.

Since I'm building a "closed system" with no hose changing, there's no valves. I have 5 3-way valves for all that.

Got some FREE 4' x 9' stainless hoods on Craigslist yesterday from an old Thai restaurant in Gloucester, MA with my buddy Gino (wit2003). They have a TON of grease funk on them, and we almost killed ourselves and a few other people getting them down, but I'd say it was overall a success.

They're next to my shed, waiting for a degreasing part in my back yard lol. Gino's taking one and I'm taking one. They'll have to be trimmed down a bit to fit my brewery - I'll just cut a foot or so off the back so it lines up with the bulkhead door properly. They're each 4' x 9'

Here's a shot of them in the restaurant pre-removal:
Fan%20Hoods.jpg

Totally worth taking a day off from work and driving up to Gloucester, America's oldest seaport. We even got some fresh lobsters (and boy were they fresh).

near death aside....these will be a good addition to both our breweries(if mine ever gets started)

Here's a new thought:

I have a buddy who owns a sign/graphics/vinyl/screenprinting shop. He has a new laser cutter and made himself these:

12049670_10206872327900931_1288047608114272859_n.jpg

Thinking of having the place that did my panel cover make a set of cork pads for under the pots.

Unfortunately my buddy's machine only goes up to 12"x24", and I need 18" pads. I may cut some out myself and have him screenprint.

Back in action after a couple months of no work (damn honey-do list got in the way).

Had a long permit application process too, the inspector hasn't done a home brewery yet, and the Board of Health was concerned about "chemical waste" (so I sent them a StarSan MSDS) and my 44-gal/day septic getting full (lol), so I explained the brew process. Also had to get into federal law surrounding home brewing. In bold, highlighted letters, the permit states I can't brew commercially or open a "pub". hahaha

Got all my stainless stuff together, got it all plumbed up. Again, this is a closed-loop system, so no changing hoses during brew day, just flipping switches and turning 3-way valves.

stainless-parts.jpg

stainless-parts2.jpg

stainless-parts3.jpg

Almost complete:
12346482_10156364274995078_7227421172787068458_n.jpg

Very nice work, do you happen to have a parts list? Why the small tan pumps?

One of the small pumps is to recirculate the MT to avoid stratification, the other is to recirculate the wort through the HERMS coil instead of using a chugger. The thought is that it'll be slower and quieter, which should lead to a better grain bed filter, instead of having a chugger suck grain through the manifold. The ghuggers are for quick transfer from HLT to MT and MT to BK.

I don't have a parts list, I've been buying and selling Stainless and have a ton of stuff that I just sort of reached for the pile and took what I could use. The original thought was to use all NPT to compression fitting, and bend tube, but I was able to do most of it with close nipples and sections of pipe, and bushings and adapters.

I started buying lots of stainless stuff on ebay, keeping what i need, and selling the rest individually. A lot of work, but in the end i had a mountain of stainless fittings, basically free. A bunch from a buddy who works for Parker helped too, and another friend had an uncle who did boilers and passed away, so same thing there - took the lot, kept what i needed, sold the rest. I bought 2-way 3-piece valves in 3/4" originally, and was shipped too many - the seller said keep them because it would have cost him more to send me shipping to get them back LOL. then i changed my plans to this design, so i sold those and bought 3-way valves instead.

Makes sense, I'm trying to decide if I want to use threaded 1/2 ss pipe or tube with compression fittings. Any advice? I do like the idea of a small pump for herms.

Are your 3way valves 1/2"?

Makes sense, I'm trying to decide if I want to use threaded 1/2 ss pipe or tube with compression fittings. Any advice? I do like the idea of a small pump for herms.

Are your 3way valves 1/2"?

The tube has a smaller diameter and flow, but is way easier to get components to line up properly. Lining up NPT in all the right direction is difficult. I kept on doubling up on the Teflon lol.

Ya, the valves are all female 1/2. The camlock fittings are all 3/4. I was originally going to do everything 3/4 but then I realized there was no benefit and just added cost. The camlocks look better bigger though, so I kept those.

The part I'm struggling with now is cleaning... I think I have it figured out. I'm recycling cooling water from the chiller back to the HLT, but I'll likely have to swap hoses at that point. Didn't think of cleaning when I designed the plumbing. Rev 2, here we go lol.

Thank you, I'm just putting together a plan, I like the idea of less soft hose and more hard plumbing. I would really like a CIP setup, and love SS

Thank you, I'm just putting together a plan, I like the idea of less soft hose and more hard plumbing. I would really like a CIP setup, and love SS

CIP?

Ya, I have a bit of a stainless obsession lol. It's one area I wanted to spend the money in. I'll update my plumbing schematic when I get the cleaning plan figured out. One concern is still if the small pump will have the power to suck through the grain bed, but I think gravity will push it through the grain bed, and the pump will only have to lift it up to the top of the coil, and gravity will again help. All very theoretical though. Other guys (Amazon reviews) said they use it for the whole brew process, but I'm not sure if that means sucking through a grain bed and blowing through a 50' coil.

How much did those smaller pumps cost and where did you buy them from? I would be interested in some smaller pumps like that.

How much did those smaller pumps cost and where did you buy them from? I would be interested in some smaller pumps like that.

Sorry for the delay - I thought I already replied here.

They're $21.99 on Amazon, Prime eligible.
http://amzn.com/B00DWORE5A

As I suspected, I already broke one, tightening stainless. I decided I'll slowly replace them with these, as I earn Amazon points with credit...
http://amzn.com/B00OXMJVNI
Capture_2.jpg

$260 instead of $44 is tough to justify now - but I'm already into one replacement motor and I haven't even brewed with them yet.

My interim plan is to JB Weld a small piece of stainless across the cheap pump from the inlet pipe to the outlet, to strengthen the plumbing to itself and not rely on this pump to do any sort of load bearing.

Latest posts

Back