Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aracer

Reaction score
Hi! I’m trying to get the recipe of a stella-type beer, with a German lager yeast. How much ounces should I use for 11 gallons of beer? Thank you

Hey Aracer , welcome to the forum !
Have you made a Lager or any beer yet?
I would suggest making a starter for your Lager if using liquid yeast like WLP 830 or 838 I believe . Or are you gonna use dry yeast ?

You can find yeast calculators online to help you out on the amount as well.

Last edited:
1.5 million cells per mL of wort per °Plato.

You'll probably be in the neighborbood of 11-12°P (let's assume 11.5°P) for something like Stella. And 11 gals is 41639.53 ml. So you want on order of 718 billion *viable* cells.

If you're using dry yeast, it's pretty easy. Manufactures say a *minimim* usually 5-10 billion cells per gram, but it's been counted more like 20 bil cells/gram. Assume a middle ground 15 and you get 172 billion cells per 11.5 gram packet. Figure dry yeast is hardy so that should be almost entirely viable. Works out to 4.17 packets 11.5g dry yeast packets. Round that up to 5 packsts and call it a day.

Liquid yeast you'll need at least a couple packs and a starter.

Or get a commercial brewery to give you some of their lager yeast. Breweries dump a lot of yeast and most will happily just give you some if you bring them a sanitary jar to collect it in. Less they have to process for the drain.

1.5 million cells per mL of wort per °Plato.

You'll probably be in the neighborbood of 11-12°P (let's assume 11.5°P) for something like Stella. And 11 gals is 41639.53 ml. So you want on order of 718 billion *viable* cells.

If you're using dry yeast, it's pretty easy. Manufactures say a *minimim* usually 5-10 billion cells per gram, but it's been counted more like 20 bil cells/gram. Assume a middle ground 15 and you get 172 billion cells per 11.5 gram packet. Figure dry yeast is hardy so that should be almost entirely viable. Works out to 4.17 packets 11.5g dry yeast packets. Round that up to 5 packsts and call it a day.

Liquid yeast you'll need at least a couple packs and a starter.

Or get a commercial brewery to give you some of their lager yeast. Breweries dump a lot of yeast and most will happily just give you some if you bring them a sanitary jar to collect it in. Less they have to process for the drain.

Thanks a lot for your accurate answer and information. Cheers!

Hey Aracer , welcome to the forum !
Have you made a Lager or any beer yet?
I would suggest making a starter for your Lager if using liquid yeast like WLP 830 or 838 I believe . Or are you gonna use dry yeast ?

You can find yeast calculators online to help you out on the amount as well.

Thank you, I will use dry yeast. Could you recommend me a good yeast calculator?

Thanks

That's a good link. Brewers Friend has great calculators for all aspects of brewing, they really will be your friend. But don't get too fine or hung up on precise numbers with a yeast calculator. They're all SWAGs, that's just a better SWAG than most. Use as a starting point and over time, try to develop your own sense of how much yeast you need based on results in your own home brewery. And if it's a choice of overpitching or underpitching, both have potential drawbacks, but it's much better to err on the side of too much yeast rather than not enough.

Back