Yeast recommendations please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewerBS

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am the super lucky winner of a 5 gallon bucket of Black Double IPA wort from my local AHA rally this weekend at Lucid Brewery. Anybody have a recommendation of yeast and starter?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

If it were me, I'd stick to the basics: WLP001, Wyeast 1056, or US05. All 3 work fantastic.

And not sure what you are asking about a starter. You'll need one for sure. I'd recommend using some DME and make a 1.040 2L starter. If you don't have DME around, get a liter or 2 of the wort going in a starter first. As long as you're good about sanitition, you don't have to pitch it right away!

White labs super San Diego. Super fast acting yeast. Clean finish. Drop a 1.080 to 1.020 in about 2 days. Make a starter for sure. 001 is also good but as above, make a starter 1500 ML or whatever. I use 1/2 lb dme and a couple cups of water a day before. Don't really measure...

Why not ask the brewery if you can fill up a small jar with some of their yeast slurry then pitch it when you get home

Definitely make a starter if it's a Double IPA. I have had success with WLP001, Wyeast 1056 and Wyeast 1332.

you want to get some yeast in there ASAP. you don't have time for a starter. thus, go with US-05. rehydrate and pitch.

edit: d'oh. do you mean this past weekend, or this upcoming weekend? if the latter, ignore the above. you have time for a starter.

I think the two most recommended were 1272 and 1335.

We got 10g for the shop - pitched 5g with 1203 - Burton IPA, and the other 5g will be pitched with 1335 British II later today (we wanted our starter to bulk up).

Still thinking about dry hop options - any one have any thoughts?

When I was filling the buckets on Saturday and one of the Lucid employees said that they will be coming out with a email in the next few days with some dry hopping suggestions. If I get that I will post it here. I decided to go with the WL San Diego Super. It's been going crazy since Sunday morning! Can't wait to try it.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

When I was filling the buckets on Saturday and one of the Lucid employees said that they will be coming out with a email in the next few days with some dry hopping suggestions. If I get that I will post it here. I decided to go with the WL San Diego Super. It's been going crazy since Sunday morning! Can't wait to try it.

Be aware that WLP090 has an VERY narrow temp range. You pretty much have to keep it steady at 65-66*F during the active phase of fermentation if you want a nice, clean result.

Found this in another post....

Anyone dry hopping or doing anything else to the wort?

Lucid's brewsheet also included their dry-hopping schedule. Converted to a 5 gallon batch is listed below:

0.8 oz Chinook 2012 Pellet [11.10 %]

0.8 oz Citra 2011/2012 [13.50 %]

0.8 oz Falconer's Flight [10.80 %]

0.8 oz Simcoe 2012 Pellet [11.40 %]

I was thinking of doing a similar dry hopping schedule myself.

Back