Yeast comparison experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mythbustingpyro

Reaction score
I just started 4 different 1 gallon batches of hard cider to compare different yeasts for my and my gfs tastes. I used pasteurized and infiltered local cider bought from the ingles (one of our grocery stores). All the jugs had the same sg of 1.040.

The first one is using saf-ale (05 I think). The second is using lavin 71b. The third is using red star quick rise. And the last is using wyeast 1388.

Just thought I'd share.

Update #1

Took gravity readings this morning and I was slightly surprised.

Lavin 71B- SG 1.010
Red Star QR- SG 1.001
Wyeast 1388- SG 1.020
Safale US-05- SG 1.022

I was had been under the impression that ale yeasts fermented faster than wine yeast, but this doesn't seem to be the case. And the bread yeast has already gone almost completely dry.

The conditions have been so far stable between 66-68 F, I shook the bottles a little a couple days to assist in degassing. No nutrients were added either. I am planning to wait till all are stable, then bottle condition for either 1 week or 2 weeks after that point. Then the taste testing.

Thanks for following up. Interested to read your next reports.

Update #1

Took gravity readings this morning and I was slightly surprised.

Lavin 71B- SG 1.010
Red Star QR- SG 1.001
Wyeast 1388- SG 1.020
Safale US-05- SG 1.022

I was had been under the impression that ale yeasts fermented faster than wine yeast, but this doesn't seem to be the case. And the bread yeast has already gone almost completely dry.

No surprise about the quick-rise; it takes a lot less time for a semi-dormant yeast than it does for a dormant yeast to raise a colony. I doubt the quick rise had much lag time at all.

Update: They will have been cold crashed for a week tomorrow. Will take Fg readings then. Plan to have a blind tasting with my gf and a brewer friend some time next week. All were finished then, close to 1.00 didnt get any data points between.

None seem to be clearing too well, probably as a result of the juice.

Back