Yakima, WA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beernik

Reaction score
I've scored an interview for a job in Yakima on the 11th, 18th, 29th. I'm still working out the details of the face-to-face interview but they sound serious about hiring me.

Besides being the hop capital of the U.S., what else is worth checking out? I'm planning on having a day and a half to check things out with my family.

Thanks.

I was down there for a BBQ competition a couple years back by the big prison. Thats sure a crazy place, it takes up a whole citty block with a courtyard in the middle I think. You can here the prisoners yelling all day and night from outside. Nutty.
Rambled there for a bit, I meant to say check out a beer called Irish Death. Had it there and can't get it in Canada. Awesome brew!!!!!

I got the interview set up for the 18th and booked my travel. The irony: I used my hotel points for all the travel I've been doing this year for my job to book a free hotel room for the interview.

I wonder if the Hanford Monument was set aside because of all the rad waste at the Hanford site near Richland.

I'll try to find the beer. I'll try to avoid the prison.

I got the interview set up for the 18th and booked my travel. The irony: I used my hotel points for all the travel I've been doing this year for my job to book a free hotel room for the interview.

I wonder if the Hanford Monument was set aside because of all the rad waste at the Hanford site near Richland.

I'll try to find the beer. I'll try to avoid the prison.

Yakima isn't a bad location...... You are on the dry side of the mountains, so the weather is tolerable........ except summers which are horrendously hot.......by my Montana standards. "Hanford Reach" as an "attraction" is kind of a joke...... The most toxic site in the US.......... Probably the world before Chernobyl and Fukshima... Floodlights and armed guards at the gates, it's not exactly a "welcoming" environment. North of Hanford, you have a huge military bombing and artillery range, and west of Yakima, you have the big Indian reservation. Yakima (in the city) is said to have issues with drugs and gangs, but there are beautiful residential semi-rural areas up Ahtanum Creek, and other West Valley areas. Goat Rocks Wilderness just to the West is a wonderful area for hiking. William O Douglas, one of our truly great Jurists in the US Supreme Court hiked and explored that country, and developed a passion for fly fishing to rival Izaak Walton, as he fought to recover from childhood Polio (Of Men and Mountains) in the area. There is a strong Latin American culture throughout the Yakima Valley.. about half the population, as a result of the hugely fertile agricultural area down the valley. Produce in the area is wonderful. The Southern Washington Cascade Range is very close by, with all it has to offer. The downside of course is the crime issue.... which is largely confined to small areas....... and of course the ever present Washington Psycho Cops........ The worst in the West as far as I'm concerned, coming from Montana where a traffic stop is a social occasion and you compare notes to see who you both know, and catch up on what old friends and members of the HP you know are doing........I've never gone away from a Montana stop angry, and never gone away from a Washington stop without having to fight down that red haze of rage...... I don't get it. Here if we see a HP in trouble, we stop and help out...... there people flip them off and drive on..... they don't seem to get it that we are on the same side!!

H.W.

ah, Yakistan. It can be a bit wild but there are nice parts of town. white pass ski area and Tieton are close and really nice. Good luck!

The Yakima valley is nice wine region. We live on the we(s)t side of the state, and try to make it over to Yakima every couple of years for wine tasting. Usually for the Spring Barrel Festival.

...and catch up on what old friends and members of the HP you know are doing.... Here if we see a HP in trouble, we stop and help out......

HP:
Higher Power?
Harry Potter?
Honda Prelude?
Horse Piss?
Honey Pie?
Head Pixie?
Hit by Pitch?

Of course. I guess I have never seen an HP in trouble such that I could decide to help or flip. And if they need my help, how pathetic is that.

I have some Spanish. Even if I don't understand everything, I can get the gist.

My wife is Puerto Rican.

If you have ever heard someone say that Hispanics should not be considered a monolithic and homogeneous group by politicians, Puerto Ricans vs. Mexicans is a prime example. I'm a bit concerned about her long term happiness in that regard than I am my own.

Of course. I guess I have never seen an HP in trouble such that I could decide to help or flip. And if they need my help, how pathetic is that.

Obviously you must live in a far more populated place than I do..... I've helped HPs and other LEOs a number of times both off and on duty........ Coming along on a lonely Montana highway at night and finding an HP trying to deal with a wreck by himself many miles from the nearest town.... 30 in that instance. Sawing up a tree that had fallen across a bridge during a flood in another case while he directed traffic around it..... I happened to have a chainsaw in my pickup that day. I've several times stopped and helped move cattle or sheep off the highway when I was the only other person there...... Out here a radio call to the dispatcher my take seconds, but it may take half an hour or more for help to arrive! I even drove one home from the bar when he was off duty, and had too much to drink... (a friend).

Out here they are friends and neighbors........ You know their kids, or they go to the same church..... Even if you are across the state ...... Montana is 650 miles from Idaho to North Dakota, you nearly always have common acquaintances if you've spent your life here. They aren't super men, just guys trying to do a job, and they understand that the job they do is keeping the highways safe and traffic moving........... Not just writing tickets to raise revenue, and harassing people pointlessly as they do in some states.

One of the classic Montana traffic stops that happened to me about 15 years ago on a remote highway....... between Winnett, and Jordan ( 80 miles of remote nothing ): I had my van on cruise at 80 mph.......... 2 lane highway posted at 70....... zero traffic, good visibility, dry roads. I met a HP heading the other way, and we each waved as Montana motorists always do....... I never gave it a thought. We all drive that highway at 80. A few minutes later, I noticed a vehicle behind me in the distance gaining on me rapidly, so I flipped off the cruise and let it coast down to 70. He pulled me over and walked up to the van and I rolled down the window. Asked for license and registration, and asked if I knew why he pulled me over......... I said "probably because I was doing 80 when I met you".......... We both chuckled at that and he confirmed it. "I see you have 40 plates...... Sweet Grass County....... ya know Spud C___"..... "Of course.......He's a neighbor"... How about _____ and ____........... I won't print the names as they are both LEOs and both still alive and in the area...... and it went back and forth for about half an hour. I knew members of his family and he knew people in my area. Spud, by the way was briefly famous as sheriff of Jordan, Montana, when he got too many DUIs and had his driver's license suspended.......... He patrolled on horseback until he got his license back. "Well, I gotta be moving along"....... and he writes me a ticket for $20, and I pay the ticket right there.......the way we did here for many years. "Now you slow down"......... "You know damn well that as soon as I'm over the next rise I'll have the cruise back on 80..."..........a laugh.... "have a nice day"......

If you aren't hostile, It's always friendly........... We are on the same side after all. It isn't "us versus THEM" like it is in some places.........

H.W.

Trooper.........

I see what you mean about cops. It's 10:30am on a Sunday and I've already seen more than a dozen cops. The only time I see this many cops pulling people over this aggressively around SLC is during the last 5 days of the month.

But, you know, there's no such thing as a quota.

Its a long weekend up here and they are out in full force trolling the highways for speeders. Cops are just people though, most up here are good but there is always a bad apple to spoil the bunch.
Just glad I don't live down in some of them states where everyone's packing and the cops are real nervous on the trigger. Can't say I blame them most of the time.

E-berg & West Valley were both nice places I could see myself living.

The interview went really well. I'll be surprised if they don't offer it to me. Of course, I've been surprised that way before. Whether we move will depend on how good the offer is and if my present employer counters.

Now it's just a waiting game, I guess. They are going to call my references.

I had a Mac & Jack's African Amber while I was there. It was a really nice, well balanced, and flavorful beer.

e-berg & west valley were both nice places i could see myself living.

The interview went really well. I'll be surprised if they don't offer it to me. Of course, i've been surprised that way before. Whether we move will depend on how good the offer is and if my present employer counters.

Now it's just a waiting game, i guess. They are going to call my references.

I had a mac & jack's african amber while i was there. It was a really nice, well balanced, and flavorful beer loaded with diacetyl.

ftfy

If you find Quilter's Irish Death on tap, give it a whirl, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

ftfy

If you find Quilter's Irish Death on tap, give it a whirl, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

+1 on the Irish Death. Yummy!!!

irish death.jpg

I will miss the mountains a little. I have enjoyed living in a box canyon for the past 13 years. But when I lived in Germany, I lived without mountains. I can adjust.

I felt out my existing work a little bit trying to get a feel if they will try to counter an offer. I'm even less optimistic that they would even make the attempt than I was before. The sentiment coming from two pay grades above my bosses is that there is a desire to pay less qualified people much less money not try to retain highly qualified people and pay them what they deserve.

I've decided that I have to have an offer by June 29 or I'm not moving for at least another year. I know they were calling my references today. So hopefully they will make a decision soon.

Here's to hoping they make an offer that makes it worth moving.

Here's an update:

I have a verbal offer from Yakima. I got the verbal offer a week ago. It was better than expected.

They can't get it to me in writing for some reason. Aparently it's lost in HR.

I told them I'm not putting in my notice at my current job or putting my house up for sale until I have the offer in my hand.

June 29 deadline still stands.

By the way, you've got plenty of mountains nearby in Yakima.

The mountains are REAL mountains, massive monolithic mountains that rise from near sea level to the same elevations as the Wasatch, which makes them double the size. Mount Rainier, Mount Adams, and Mount St. Helens are all close by. The mountains of the Cascades make the ranges like the Wasatch look like toy mountains. There are fast forests with hiking trails, lakes, camp grounds, etc. There are two ski areas quite close.

Naches is a mere 15 miles west of Yakima...... an easy commute, and lays in the foothills of the Cascades, and beyond the "urban crime zone". At the risk of sounding like a racist, Naches also has an ethnic mix that is more comfortable for the average wasp, and the town provides a better environment for raising a family with reduced crime, drugs, gangs, etc. If I were to work in Yakima, I'd be looking for housing in or around Naches.

H.W.

The Cascades are impressive, but from Yakima, they are far away.

While driving 15 miles to get to the Cascade foothills doesn't seem like much, in SL County driving 15 - 20 miles takes you from the west side Oquirrh foothills to the east side Wasatch foothills. The Wasatch & Oquirrhs aren't as tall, but are much closer.

If we move there, at least for the immediate future, we would probably find a place in either the West Valley or East Valley areas. It would be nice to live somewhere close enough to work that I could bike it.

The delay may be for the best. I just a saw a job in Newport Oregon. It's a town my wife and I both love to visit. I would most likely take a pay cut at it, but it would be awesome for my wife.

And Rogue has their brewery on the south shore of the bay...

another update:

I started my daughter on braces, but we aren't very far into it yet. Basically all we have had to this point is dental impressions.

No response from Newport Oregon. That's what I hate about "open until filled" job announcements.

The written offer from Yakima came through. It was greater than the verbal offer I had discussed with them.

The counter offer from SLC appears to have fallen through. It seems they either didn't think the offer was real or didn't think I'd really take the offer.

I'm currently making a preliminary calendar for the move with my wife.

As of tonight: there is a 99% chance I'll be working in Yakima on September 1.

I'm looking forward to seeing Hop Union and their farms in person.

Latest posts

Back