WTF is wrong????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beeraggie

Reaction score
The other week I brewed a dark ale. I steeped 4lbs of specialty grains (a mix of choc malt, carapils, and light munich) and used 5lbs of DME. Steeped for 45 mins @165 F, boiled for 60 mins, hopped at 60, 20,10,and knockout. Cooled and pitched Belgium Ale yeast. IG of 1.050. Fermentation started in 6.5 hrs and was very strong for 3 days, and then stopped. I left it in the primary for 8 days and transfered to secondary. When I x-fered the gravity was only a 1.033. It has been in the secondary now for 5 days and the gravity is only a 1.031. Is this all I am going to get? Should I try to re-pitch more yeast?

Any advise or feedback is welcome.

Couple of things may be going on here. 1) 4lbs seems like a lot of steeping grains to me, you also steeped them for longer than the typical 15 to 20 minutes, so you may have a lot of unfermentable sugar in there. 2) you may have racked to secondary a little early; racking effectively slows down fermentation since you rack the beer off the yeast cake. I don't usually go to secondary until fermentation is complete, but that's just me.

I don't really know enough about Belgian yeast strains to tell you much more or to suggest whether or not re-pitching is a good idea.

Well, after trying many different things, I am at a loss. I stirred up all the settled yeast at the bottom by hitting it with some aeration. This did not due a D*mn thing. Next I boiled up about 3 cups of water and DME and added it. I had a bubble every 2 mins or so for about 9 hrs, then nothing. After seeing this I have concluded that the yeast must be ok, I just have that many unfermentable sugars. SO??? to bottle and hope for the best, or should I discard?

Any thoughts are welcome

Fermentation temperature? Belgian strains are picky about temp--they tend to get stuck if they go below 65 F.

Steeping at 165? That's pretty high, the higher the temp the more unfermentables, the lower them temp the more fermentables. You probably got a bunch of unfermentables out of your grains when you steeped them, this is going to be a thick beer:D

You can try to repitch but I've yet to have a successful reversal of a stuck fermentation.

Dan

The two times I used WL's belgium ale yeast it took mine 6 weeks to finish. You getting krausen buildup?

desertBrew said:
The two times I used WL's belgium ale yeast it took mine 6 weeks to finish. You getting krausen buildup?

I had krausen the first 2-3 days and then it went away. The gravity has not moved in 8 days.:(

4 pounds of steeped grains? Wouldn't this create a huge amount of unfermentables without mashing? Sounds like that would cause the high FG. Careful with the Beano. I used 4 tablets in a brew and it fermented for weeks. Kept fermenting in the bottles too. Good thing I use plastic bottles and not glass or it would sound like WWII in my basement.

beeraggie said:
I had krausen the first 2-3 days and then it went away. The gravity has not moved in 8 days.:(

Hmmm. Mine took forever to drop. I even racked it after 2 weeks and it just came back in the secondary.

Well, I am going to try the beano. Don't have nothing to lose.
Thanks for everyones help!!!

Well last night I put in 2 tabs of beano and went to bed. This morning there was some pressure under the ailock. When I got home from work, well, it was just beautiful. Thick foam on top, bubbles coming out of the airlock.

Thank yall so much for the help!!!:ban:

Its Beano. It is sold in every grocery store or drug store. It is for when you have gas. Its a little embarrising to purchase. I told the cute gal checking me out that is was for the beer; honest!!!

Latest posts

Back