Wrong yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cjacobs

Reaction score
So I’m new to mead and I started my first batch on Sunday. I had a pack of lalvin k1-v1116 for another project. I was planning on using ec-1118 for my mead not even sure if that would be a good one to use but I grabbed the wrong packet and added in the k1-v1116 by accident. It doesn’t seem to be doing anything yet I haven’t tested SG again to see for sure don’t want to mess with it more than I have to. What would yalls advice be for me. Should I repitch a different yeast or let this go to see what happens.

Thanks in advance

Hey, welcome to HBT!

I'd recommend correctly rehydrating dry yeast before adding it.
My suggestion is to pitch more of the same yeast, rehydrated. Use the 1118 if you can't get more v1116.

Boil some tap water or spring water, 10x the weight of yeast. Let cool to 90-105°F and sprinkle in the yeast. Leave sit for 15 mins. Gently stir and leave another 5 mins or so.
Begin adding your honey water to the yeast every 5 minutes to not drop the temperature too quickly.

Proper rehdration drastically increases the amount of yeast that survive.

Cheers

Thank you for the help but I guess I asked a little to early. Woke up this morning to a bubbling airlock and a little frothing on top of my mead. Lesson learned I need more PATIENCE.

Back