Writing on Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richlong8020

Reaction score
So cleaning off the labels is a pain as we all know. And when we have the bottles all cleaned the last thing you want to do is put another label on there.

So is anyone writing on their bottles with pens/markers/paint.

I'm looking for a easy way to write what beer I have but since I use brown bottles a black sharpie might not work.

Any ideas that may have worked for you.

~RDWHAHB~

I mark the cap with a letter or two to label the bottle. American Amber Ale is AA. I bew one saison so far so a simple S works. Caribou Slobber is CS.

I also number the first 10 and last 10 bottles filled as a check for carbonation problems from the priming solution not being well mixed in the bottling bucket.

That's what I do too but it's a pain. I'm trying to step up my game a little for a nicer looking end product. As far as display goes. The priming sugar thing is a good idea but when I add mine I stir from the bottom to top to make sure it's incorporated well.

~RDWHAHB~

I also use sticky labels on the cap with coded info on them, don't need much to refer me back to the log book.

I bought a pack of wine pens that work great:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002BGO7Z0/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I generally just use a sharpie and write a number on the cap that corresponds with my brew log. But if I end up with several different batches in the fridge at once, I'll write on them what they are so I don't have to pull them all out to see the caps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Silver Sharpie. Or like others have said labels on the cap that are printed.

The Grog Tag labels are nice but I would only use them for bottles where you want to have a WOW! factor.

Sharpie on the lid for me.

However, to kick it up a notch I've etched a logo on a small number of bottles. Those look fantastic, but I never got around to doing the rest of them.

Hey has anyone looked into rubber stamps. Small ones would work right?!? Ink comes off with a scrubby. Especially if you make the same batch often. What do you all think of that idea.

~RDWHAHB~

I like to use laser printed labels (inkjet will run) with rubber cement to adhere. They peel right off without leaving any residue, and done right, they will not peel off with condensation.

I am thinking for when I next bottle I may just use your standard HD red China Marker (grease pencil, whatever you call it)
c32e5ca6-b0f9-40d9-9562-6444a0319634_400.jpg

They are pretty cheap and show up well on glass and I, like you do not like de-labeling.

Silver Sharpie. Or like others have said labels on the cap that are printed.

The Grog Tag labels are nice but I would only use them for bottles where you want to have a WOW! factor.

I second that. I've got a black and silver sharpie near my keezer. Silver shows up on my brown growlers and bottles and when I use a clear growler with a darker beer, it's easy to read.

I keg and have yet to come up with any kind of "real" label when I do bottle for friends.

I like to use laser printed labels (inkjet will run) with rubber cement to adhere. They peel right off without leaving any residue, and done right, they will not peel off with condensation.

I use laser printed labels as well, but use milk in a spray bottle as the adhesive. Simple to use and no sticky mess. Just wipe off excess milk with a damp sponge or paper towel. To remove, simply dip in warm water for about 10-20 seconds and the label slips of nicely. However, if you plan on chucking a bunch of bottles in a ice filled tub, the bottles in water will have their labels eventually come off. So, tell your friends to either drink fast and not enjoy your elixir of love, or drain the water of occasionally. The latter works for me.

For bottles I don't plan to give away, or the beer is, ah, less than my expectations, I use painters blue tape. Simply write some cryptic name that you will remember multiple times along the length of the tape; tear off and apply to the bottle. In the past, I've used a sharpie to initial the bottle cap with the beer name/type.

I used to use the round dot stickers (like you use for yard sales) and write abbreviations on them (A=amber, CPA = cascade pale ale, etc.) and stick them on the caps. I have simplified to using a black sharpie and writing the abbreviation right on the cap. I have glass shelves in my beer fridge and I generally keep my beer organized (each flavor has it's own row) so it's easy to see what beer is in the fridge.

Sharpie on the lid for me.

However, to kick it up a notch I've etched a logo on a small number of bottles. Those look fantastic, but I never got around to doing the rest of them.

I second that. I've got a black and silver sharpie near my keezer. Silver shows up on my brown growlers and bottles and when I use a clear growler with a darker beer, it's easy to read.

I keg and have yet to come up with any kind of "real" label when I do bottle for friends.
Does the silver sharpie come off of the glass easily?

I'm thinking this would be great for labeling bottles at our homebrew clue so that people know what's in them after the caps come off.

I am thinking for when I next bottle I may just use your standard HD red China Marker (grease pencil, whatever you call it)
c32e5ca6-b0f9-40d9-9562-6444a0319634_400.jpg

They are pretty cheap and show up well on glass and I, like you do not like de-labeling.

You can get these in white too. Works well.

I have some 2" x 4" repositionable labels (think - sticky notes type adhesive) that are promising - just put some on bottles, so we'll see how easy they are to remove when the time comes.

Nice to run them through the laser printer for a classier font/clipart or other image if you want.

This one is screamin' green - the others in the pack were bright turquoise, yellow, and hot pink.

schmutz beer label.jpg

I used the crayola window crayons for a while, years back. Works fine, washes off easy, just scrub with a dish pad or whatever. Some I never scrubbed still read like they did when I bottled them, two years ago now.
Now I just use a fine point sharpie on the cap, I have up on appearances for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

In the end, I made these.

img0804.jpg

Class IIB was a very popular beer here in Sweden in the seventies. it was a beer with 4.2% ABV which you could buy in the grocery store.
It can not be done anymore :(
One must go to the "systembolaget" a liquor store today if you want beer stronger than 3.6% ABV.
The caps are highly appreciated among my friends. They can choose Class III if they want, which is a stronger beer.
Vår goda lager can be translated to our best lagers.

Yes I do.
I have made the stamp in my workshop.

Too much time and too little to do :eek:

Does the silver sharpie come off of the glass easily?

I'm thinking this would be great for labeling bottles at our homebrew clue so that people know what's in them after the caps come off.

A little acetone or de-natured alcohol will take it right off. I use a silver sharpie to write on my (black) kegerator next to the taps, in the absence of any other labelling system.

That looks awesome. Very unique. I've never seen anything like that.

I'm glad you like it.

I tested a bit first so that the plastic inside the cap would not break. The text may not be deeper than 0.3mm and not outside Ø19mm. Then it´s fine.

Back