Wow... what a winter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrfocus

Reaction score
So, we've had a huge amount of snow (we're a few storms from beating the record in 1971) and today there's tiny hail.

Well, the local buses aren't going around I guess so no university for me and SWMBO today. We waited almost half an hour and nothing. Plus both the profs that we had classes with today are the kind that would not come in with these kinds of conditions. Too bad.

Snow is good. I hope you have the resources available today to make some beer. That's always a good way to kill some time if you can't get out and ski or ride.;)

Central New Hampshire has been hit hard this year too. A snow gauge in my parents front yard that sticks up 40 inches is completely buried. Even my dad can't remember a winter where we had this much snow. I just checked to see how close to a record we are, and according to a newspaper article written last Sunday;

"Concord had pulled to within 13.5 inches of snapping the all-time record of 122 inches, set in 1873-74. Receiving normal snowfall from here on out would put this winter atop all others in 139 years of record-keeping."

I love going snowmobiling and enjoy watching all the chaos that these storms cause. It would be fun to see another foot of snow fall, but at the same time I'm ready for spring so I can finally start all grain brewing on my back patio.

I suspect this trend will continue. Less and thinner ice in the Arctic ocean can only mean more moisture available for snow.

We hardly got any here in central Ohio this year. We don't get anywhere near as much as NE or Canada obviously, but I bet we didn't even break 20 inches total so far this year.

I hear that, I can no longer see my fence or my deck. I am getting some serous cabin fever. The only good side is that snow is great for cooling wort when you don’t have a chiller.

I'm originally from Atlanta, GA and have never really seen "snow." So when I moved to Rochester, MN last year I didn't know what to expect. In GA, when there is a hint of snow every one panics, schools close and people drive 5mph if it even starts to flury.

I did a contract job in Minneapolis for a couple of months and was told that it had been about 10 years since they had had a real Minnesota winter and this one just might be a real MN winter. My second day on the job it started to snow in the cities. My boss told me to head home at 1pm since he knew my commute was long. I got home at 8 that evening with 8 new inches on the ground in Rochester and a smiling landlord clearing the snow from the sidewalk..."welcome to Minnesota!" he says. Jeeze.

So now that I've been here a few months and experienced new snow about ever second or third day I would say that I like the snow. We're getting another inch today...but that isn't anything like lake effect snow that some of you are getting..;)

mrfocus, I'm not far south of you (Plattsburgh), we should meet up this spring sometime.

SWMBO has a snowday today & our local mall is closed due to weather. I've never seen the mall close for snow...

We got another 8 inches down in Detroit today, which meant the University I worked at actually closed. So it's a snowday for me today...

At 6am after I confirmed no work today..I crawled back into bed, and just re-emerged 4 hours later... Life is sweet.

I may bottle today....Or not...I may do nothing...'Cause it's a SNOWDAY!!!

I love it.

More snow means I can go snowboarding locally and don't have to drive all the way to the mountains.

Kai

Latest posts

Back