Wow mind boggling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As far as stopping fermentation, what about pasteurizing? If I bottle a couple off the keg, could I just put them in a sauce pan of water and heat the water to around 160-180 (<---whatever the correct temp is for pasteurization).

I know I'm going to keg it, but if it tastes good, I'd like to be able to take a bottle or two to my club meetings to share. I don't want it to be like a grenade going off if someone reaches for a pour.

As far as stopping fermentation, what about pasteurizing? If I bottle a couple off the keg, could I just put them in a sauce pan of water and heat the water to around 160-180 (<---whatever the correct temp is for pasteurization).

I know I'm going to keg it, but if it tastes good, I'd like to be able to take a bottle or two to my club meetings to share. I don't want it to be like a grenade going off if someone reaches for a pour.

Yes you can pasteurize if you prefer to ensure no bottle bomb. That said though I doubt if you are drinking it the day you bottle it that you would need to. I would consider pasteurization if it's going to be sitting a few days or weeks otherwise I don't think I'd bother.

And yes you want around 160F for pasteurization

We can our garden veggies but I have never pasteurized beer or cider, I dont know why but its just seems wrong for some indefensible reason.

Back