Would this work for a MLT?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryC

Reaction score
I use a 5 gallon Rubbermaid cooler for my MLT but next weekend I want to brew an IPA with a 16+ pound grain bill. The budget is pretty tight right now and I was thinking of using my Igloo rolling cooler and just drill it to fit the valve from the Rubbermaid. I know this isn't a perfect set up because the bottom has a raised area on one end (where the wheels are) and my braid wouldn't reach all the way across but, do you think it would do OK for a one shot brew?

Here's a similar cooler
http://www.ruralking.com/cooler-wheelie-38-qt-blue.html

I think this is the same shape cooler that I'm using as MLT, if the existing valve is where the hump for the wheels are then it is the same accept mine is a little larger volume, 50qts. To make this work I used a piece of copper tubing and bent it to go back down to the floor of the cooler and then does a 180 to make room for the screen. With the tube on the floor the liquid would siphon out all the way down to the bottom of the cooler. If it is the same I will take a photo of what I have for you.

Like you I'm working on a budget so what ever I do to reuse/re-purpose what ever I can. The only problem I have is the cooler is too large and with this shape I have trouble with the grain bed being too shallow if I do 5 gallon batches.

Good luck

Clem

Back