Would this work for a DIY wort chiller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made mine from 50 feet of 3/8" OD type L soft copper tube. They usually have rolls of it at the plumbing supply house for $35 or so. Then you can either use flair fittings to connect your tube or just buy 3/8" ID Tube and hose clamp it right to the copper.

Don't forget to leak test it (I would suggest a trial run to have it hot when you test it), before you use it so it doesn't spray hose water into your wort.

Looking at this copper pipe:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbrande...C-_-NavPLPHorizontal1_rr-_-NA-_-202287075-_-N

• Is 'soft refrigeration coil pipe' is the same as regular copper pipe?
  • And is 20' long enough?

Yep, that is what you want to use. That tubing has been annealed, so it is soft and can be easily bent. It's not the same as rigid copper pipe (the kind used for water lines).

Edit: Your other question...20' of 3/8 OD will make a rather small chiller, which might be OK for 5 gallon batches. But 50 feet of that would be better. Or 20' of a larger diameter tubing.

The temp rating is for a closed system. It is more of a pressure rating that says if you closed the system 150 degrees is max before the pipe bursts. Your good up to 400 degrees with that tube. Buy 50 feet though. It's worth it

Back