Wort chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmbshen41

Reaction score
I just built my first wort chiller, I used zip ties as support between the spaces of coils. Is there any dis advantage in doing this?

image-3955532920.jpg

image-2762215152.jpg

As long as all those coils are actually submerged in your BK, there's no disadvantage to having all those big gaps...

Cheers!

[edit] ps: I'd put a slightly-more-than-90°-bend on the two risers up near the couplers so they hang over the edge of your kettle, which might help keep any leaks from getting into your wort...

All the coils will be submerged, we are boiling full 5 gallons, I will def, bend the couplers more I didn't even think of that.

Nylon is probably fine to be submerged in the wort, though im not sure if it would release any compounds at boiling temps. I would suggest replacing the zip-ties with copper wire as soon as you can. It will hold up longer and you can get a roll of solid core copper wire for reasonably cheap.

My guess is the problem you might have is them loosing up in the heat.

Yeah get rid of the plastic. If you have some romax laying around strip out the ground wire and it will work great.

I think chillers with plenty of space in between ribs will improve your chilling assuming you whirlpool. Keeps the wort moving over the coils.

Back