Wort Chiller Use

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockape66

Reaction score
I am making the garden hose counter flow chiller described in the book, "Brew Ware". One modification is using 1/2 to 3/8 inch couplers with sweat soldered joints instead of drilling 3/8 in. holes in 1/2 in. caps. I just have one question: Do I need high temp tubing to siphon the hot wort, and can I use my auto-siphon to start the transfer? Any help would be much appreciated.

You do need high temp tubing...at least for the liquid-in end. And no...don't use your autosiphon. You should install a drain on your kettle. The autosiphon will crack at high temps, and then it's useless.

Thanks for the reply Suthrncomfrt. This is pretty much what I thought. There doesn't seem to be much info on using some kinds of equipment, and way too much on others. The high temp tubing I have been looking at is ratet to 175*F. That's well below boiling, and I don't know if it is sufficient.
Thanks again, Mack:D

Yah, without a nozzle/spigot from your brew kettle to the primary, perhaps an immersion chiller would be more feasible for you. Trying to start a siphon through 20 feet of tubing would suck...literally.

Back