Wort chiller sanitation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nordoe

Reaction score
So I just built a wort chiller, you can see it in a previous thread if interested. I have been reading about sanitation on them. I would think just to throw it in my fermenting bucket when sanitizing it, but I have been reading some people put it in with their boil. I don't feel safe putting it in my wort during the boiling process. What do you guys do?

You could always do both if you wanted but putting it in the boil will kill any of the bad stuff.

Go with what cvstrat, Mmenges, and Pappers have said. I have an immersion chiller and put it in the boil for the last 15 minutes and have not brewed one infected batch since (about 10 years).

Of course, you've got to make sure its clean before you sanitize.

This is the important part. As long as it's clean it won't drop anything into your beer that you don't want in there, and the boil will sanitize it too.

I usually drop it in sanitizer or spray it with Starsan prior to going in the BK. Not to sanitize because the boil will do that, but to rinse anything off that may have gotten on it while it was sitting around. 10-15 minutes in the boil is what I do to take care of sanitizing.

Keep in mind that when you drop it in the boil, you will likely loose the boil... So the next natural question is, do you extend the boil time? When I use the IC, I usually add about 5 minutes.

Make sure nothing physical is on the copper, wipe it off if necessary. Throw it in the boil for 15 min and make sure to not let the water in the IC goes into my boil.

I always clean it and sanitize the outside afterward, that way when I use it next (throw it in the boil) I feel comfortable doing so.

I've stuck it to the man on this one by throwing the chiller in at flameout. There's no sense in knocking the boil down to 205F and bringing it back up only to start chilling. I put the chiller in along with my flameout hops and kill the heat. I let it heat up for 3 minutes and start chilling.

I've stuck it to the man on this one by throwing the chiller in at flameout. There's no sense in knocking the boil down to 205F and bringing it back up only to start chilling. I put the chiller in along with my flameout hops and kill the heat. I let it heat up for 3 minutes and start chilling.

Bobby... you are truly a rebel :D
I think this makes perfect sense. 205f will probably kill darn near every thing that 212f will, so why take the time & energy to heat it back up. I usually use a CFC, but will definitely go this route next time I use the IC.

Thanks!

Pick it up from the garage floor, blow off the dust and dirt, and drop it in :).

Seriously though, I make sure it is good and clean after each use so stuff does not harden onto it, I then give it a good spray down to get rid of any dust that may have collected between brews and then toss it in at flame out like Bobby M there.

Pick it up from the garage floor, blow off the dust and dirt, and drop it in :).

Seriously though, I make sure it is good and clean after each use so stuff does not harden onto it, I then give it a good spray down to get rid of any dust that may have collected between brews and then toss it in at flame out like Bobby M there.

do the same, on cold days its even worse if you put it in at 15

i keep mine in a homer bucket with the lid cutout for the uprights. when prepping for brewday i spray it down real good with starsan in the bucket let it sit lill needed then add it to the last 15 mins of my boil. i use that same homer bucket to collect the hot water outflow from my chiller, and throw all the stuff to be cleaned in there uncluding the chiller to soak in oxy clean..

Why would you not feel safe putting it in the boil? Almost all the bacteria will be killed even in 160 degree water. Boil it for 10 minutes and you're fine. Many times I will forget and only boil for 5 minutes

Back