wort chiller as an aerator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liebertron

Reaction score
My friend who has been brewing beer for a while said that you should pump the wort chiller in the wort as you are chilling in order to mix air before siphoning into the fermenter. Does anyone know why, or if this has any merit? This information was obtained from a much more knowledge brewer but we have no idea why.

Thanks!

You mean compressing it a little over and over? I've done that, but I was doing it to mix the wort a little so that it chilled more evenly. I don't always do it, depending on what else I have to do before transferring it to the fermenter and/or how impatient I'm feeling.

You betcha! I let the wort cool to about 100* moving the chiller a little to promote good cooling. After that, I work it up and down to aerate the wort and finish cooling. works like a champ!

Moving the chiller around will help it cool faster. Unless you are pumping like a mad man, I doubt it would aerate. You also want to aerate after its cool, not while its still hot.

I would say move it around for cooling, after its cool aerate by any of the other prescribed methods in these forums.

Ahh "pump" as in push the chiller up and down...I thought you meant pump your chiller water into the wort!! It will help it chill faster, but yeah you'll probably still want to actually aerate also once its cooled and in the carboy. Apparently you need to be careful splashing too much while its still hot, but I don't know how viable of a concern this really is.

Back