Words and phrases I hate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those words are great, you just have them out of order. It is supposed to be "No, don't stop!"

Punctuation matters with this order especially if it's like: No! Don't! Stop!

The phrase that bugs me is "low hanging fruit", hear it at work from time to time, all I can think is "yeah, I got your low hanging fruit right here"

The phrase that bugs me is "low hanging fruit", hear it at work from time to time, all I can think is "yeah, I got your low hanging fruit right here"

Smuggling a pair of plums to work are you? :p

"Irregardless" Someone foolishly created a double-negative here, when they probably intended to say "regardless."

"I could care less" The correct phrase is "I couldn't care less," meaning they are at the highest point of apathy. If they say "I could care less," then they aren't very apathetic, and the statement doesn't have much impact.

I prefer to think of it as the lowest point of sympathy. My highest point of apathy is reserved for things like, say, catholicism. My lowest point of sympathy is for things such as, "OMG im so toatally fat."

"Irregardless" Someone foolishly created a double-negative here, when they probably intended to say "regardless."

"I could care less" The correct phrase is "I couldn't care less," meaning they are at the highest point of apathy. If they say "I could care less," then they aren't very apathetic, and the statement doesn't have much impact.

Been said, but I wouldn't read this whole bloated thread either!

That said, we are on the same page.

Those 2 are the WORST.

Only one I will add is:

"Do you mind?" "YEAH! SURE! Go ahead.No problem"

.....so you do mind but you are taunting me and effing with me?

The right answer is "NO! Why would I mind? Go ahead. No problem"

Only one I will add is:

"Do you mind?" "YEAH! SURE! Go ahead.No problem"

.....so you do mind but you are taunting me and effing with me?

The right answer is "NO! Why would I mind? Go ahead. No problem"

That reminds me, are there any haters of the phrase "no problem" in here? I've been told the phrase is impolite, but have yet to hear a good explanation as to why.

The only explanation I've gotten is:

"Well, if someone is asking you to do something or thanking you for doing something, and you respond 'no problem', you're implying it really was a problem."

HUH? :confused: Sure, I always say the exact opposite of what I mean. No, I didn't have a problem doing you a favor, hence why I said "no problem" instead of "hell no, get lost". Maybe it's more casual than "you're welcome", but still...

Paradigm shift & Shifting paradigms.... I prefer double-clutching 4 nickels to either of those phrases...

I had an instructor in college that used 'Paradigm Shift' frequently. One day before class, I waited outside with 2 rolls of nickels, and gave them out to select class mates - four each. The first time he mentioned 'Paradigm' in a lecture, well I think you can figure out the rest. Fortunately for my GPA, he was very good natured about getting pelted with nickels in the middle of a lecture.

You should have given everyone two dimes instead of four nickels. "Here's a pair 'o dimes for ya!"

Pun intended.

Using "am" when they really mean "I'm" but for some reason can't get to spell it right...

lmao!!!!!

"Two cars got together....."

A local traffic chick uses this term to explain an accident....WTF.....cal it a crash...accident....WTF.....is this polically correct to say "Two cars got together....."...dumbest effing thing I ever heard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Really pi$$es me off.......

herbie_and_gisele.jpg

I worked several years in IT and one of the words that I despise the most is:

administrate

You're an administrator. You are part of an administration. You administer things.

It might be considered an actual word these days, but that doesn't change how I feel. I loathe the word.

This thread is to long to read. I am going too a smaller thread...................

That one is from right HERE on this wonderful damned site.

Is it really to hard too get those 2's right????

Honestly, you all should just give up on the whole apostrophe thing. I'm convinced there are fewer than 10 people in the whole world who know how to use them correctly in English. Sad, but true.

beaksnbeer said:
Hey, know what? or Guess what? Followed by endless blather.

I tortured my kids when they would say this.

"Dad, Guess what?"

Me, "you're a girl."

"No, not that."

Me, "You're not a girl?"

"Yes."

Me, "I guessed right."

Don't know if I should post the image here, but I'm providing a link. Probably not safe for young kids and work, if you work in a stuffy place.

drainbamage said:
That reminds me, are there any haters of the phrase "no problem" in here? I've been told the phrase is impolite, but have yet to hear a good explanation as to why.

The only explanation I've gotten is:

"Well, if someone is asking you to do something or thanking you for doing something, and you respond 'no problem', you're implying it really was a problem."

HUH? :confused: Sure, I always say the exact opposite of what I mean. No, I didn't have a problem doing you a favor, hence why I said "no problem" instead of "hell no, get lost". Maybe it's more casual than "you're welcome", but still...

I think 'no problem' is a poor substitute for 'you're welcome.' No problem lacks grace - I didn't think that having the waitress serve me dinner was a problem, but I still thanked her. You're welcome acknowledges that I thanked her - thanks for the thanks. No problem also implies that I didn't need to thank her - that the whole politeness exchange was unnecessary.

No problem is fine if its a really serious matter. Say a friend calls and asks me to take him to the emergency room and is apologizing for having to ask, its appropriate to assure him that it was no problem, that your friendship is too important to worry about that.

But imho no problem is generally a poor (and annoying) substitute for you're welcome.

I think this is one of those cases where we've muddled two things together. If someone thanks you then "you're welcome" is the appropriate and polite response. They are expressing their gratitude to you and you shouldn't cheapen that by saying "no problem." The other case is if someone says they are sorry to interrupt you or ask you to do something for them. In that case, "no problem" is fine.

I hate how "there's" and increasingly, "there is," has become an accepted way to state the existence of any number of things. "There are" has simply left the language, without so much as a "goodbye."

I hate how "there's" and increasingly, "there is," has become an accepted way to state the existence of any number of things. "There are" has simply left the language, without so much as a "goodbye."

Nevermind people getting they're words mixed up when their typing:drunk:

Literally.

Actually one of my favorite words, is horrible when mis-used. Unfortunately, it has now been defiled by google who is trying to render it literally meaningless.

I started a separate thread to filter my hate into.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f96/google-literally-sucks-dogs-426921/

I heard two more today on the news.

'Social Media Expert' - OK, who has a life so devoid of anything meaningful to do that they devote it to Facebook and Twitter and MySpace? Can these people be added to the coffee table book?

and

'Twitterverse' - I hate this word about as much as I hate Blog (are we that lazy that we have to shorten Web Log?), Blogsphere, Tweet (shouldnt short for Twitter be Twit not Tweet?).

I am going to stop now before I get worked up.

DrunkleJon said:
I heard two more today on the news.

'Social Media Expert' - OK, who has a life so devoid of anything meaningful to do that they devote it to Facebook and Twitter and MySpace? Can these people be added to the coffee table book?

and

'Twitterverse' - I hate this word about as much as I hate Blog (are we that lazy that we have to shorten Web Log?), Blogsphere, Tweet (shouldnt short for Twitter be Twit not Tweet?).

I am going to stop now before I get worked up.

Agreed.
Hey since everyone loves to shorten things these days, why haven't they shortened Facebook. Two syllables is so 10 years ago. I nominate Fook as the official shortened term for Facebook. ;)

Agreed.
Hey since everyone loves to shorten things these days, why haven't they shortened Facebook. Two syllables is so 10 years ago. I nominate Fook as the official shortened term for Facebook. ;)

Didnt you see the movie about it? It was shortened from "the facebook" to "facebook". I don't know about you but not having to say those three little letters freed up tons of space in my day. I don't even know how I got by before

Goofynewfie said:
Didnt you see the movie about it? It was shortened from "the facebook" to "facebook". I don't know about you but not having to say those three little letters freed up tons of space in my day. I don't even know how I got by before

Ha! So it was originally meant to be said like old people say it?
"Hey grandma, what have you been up to?"
Grandma: "I've been looking at that Google and the Facebook on the intranets."
:D

Tweet (shouldnt short for Twitter be Twit not Tweet?).

Tweet and twitter have precedence here. They've been used as singular/plural for many long years, since before the grandparents of whomever created Twitter was born.

What really irritates me is "my tweets." Don't you mean your twitter?

I hate the use of "like these ones." As in the reporter is describing the animal(s) but doesn't have a pic of said animal(s). So they use a stock image/video instead. (Same thing for aircraft, boats, etc...) Then instead of saying "like these," they say "like these ones." Makes me want to spank their ass, send them back to school & then smack their teacher for letting them graduate in the first place.
Well, I guess that was my rant for the day.
Regards, GF.

EDIT: Had to rescind part of a rant cuz I was wrong...
I hate it when that happens.
Regards, GF.

I hate the use of the non-word "horrific." No such word. This is a term reporters & other media types made up. It's a mashup of "horrible" and "terrific." It was meant to describe a horrible event, like a car accident, where they got some footage that was horrible to watch, but made for a terrific news story. This started as "shop talk" & should never have made it to air, but it did & now every mofo & his bro are using it, simply because they heard somebody else use it on TV.

Are you sure? My Webster's Dictionary includes "horrific adj. horrendous."

Are you sure? My Webster's Dictionary includes "horrific adj. horrendous."

Dammit. It's not a recent addition either. I was wrong. :eek: (that stings) This'll teach me to check before ranting I guess. "Thank you for correcting my English which stinks." :D

OK, I rescind the part of my rant about "Horrific" not being a real word; but not the rant itself; I still hate that it's become a buzzword.

"Even if horrific were a contraction of horrible and terrific, it would still be a real word, but in any case horrific is a regular formation that's actually a few years older than terrific.

Horrific, which means 'causing horror', is first found in English in the 1650s (terrific is first found in the 1660s). It is one of many words formed from a noun and the suffix -fic, which means 'making, producing, or causing (the thing specified in the initial element)'. Horrific 'causing horror' is one example, and some others are pacific, soporific, and honorific.

The -fic suffix is ultimately from Latin -ficus, a combining form of the verb facere 'to make or do'. It's not always possible to determine the exact order of the development, because a word can end up with a -fic suffix in several ways: as a borrowing of a Latin word that ends with -ficus, such as terrific, which comes directly from Latin terrificus 'terrifying'; as a borrowing of a French word that ends in -fique, itself of course from Latin, such as horrific, a borrowing of French horrifique (we know it's from French because the first occurrence in English is in a translation of Rabelais, who uses the French equivalent); as a borrowing from another Romance language (Italian and Spanish have the suffix -fico), or as an English coinage (acidific)."

Regards, GF. :eek:

Tweet and twitter have precedence here. They've been used as singular/plural for many long years, since before the grandparents of whomever created Twitter was born.

What really irritates me is "my tweets." Don't you mean your twitter?

Twitter is the service and tweets are the individual messages so "my tweets" is correct in this case.

Agreed.

Mother: son what are you doing?
Son: Fooking!
Mother: what the fook?

This is a great thread and nearly all of what I'd post has already been posted... but I'll say it again:

- The reality is... (f*ck you and your version of reality

- Literally (I always respond, "And figuratively?")

- Seriously guys!

- Every single internet/text acronym including but not limited to RDWHAHB, SWMBO, LOL, OMG, YMMV, FWIW, IMO, etc.

- Supposebly, irregardless

- Gratuitous use of "like"

- Business, as in, "I'm all about that business!"

- I'm all about that...

- Bomb, da bomb, bomb diggity, or any other use of the word "bomb" to represent something cool.

- Using "I feel" when it's really a thought, such as, "I really feel it was a good movie." Actually, you thought it was good, but I feel annoyed you said that!

I'm sure there's more.

Back