Wood for keezer collar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtskinner

Reaction score
Any particular wood to stay away from, other than plys, pressed or OSB? Would green treated pine be OK as long as it's sealed or painted? The outside may even have a clean, knot free, face put on it, painted for sure though. Just happened to have some that's nice and dry.

just about any wood is fine - just remember wood is not a good insulator. Like R1.5 or 2 for a pine 2x6

My first keezer collar was 2x6, with a 1x6 poplar 'finish' piece to clean up the look on the exterior.
My second keezer collar is simply a 1x6 Oak collar - finished with stain and varnish. Looks awesome with the black freezer. But I have 2" foam lining the inside, and a vinyl cover over the foam.

I used pine on mine... No problem...

I stained and sealed the outside and on the inside, I glued insulation to it with liquid nails...
Works great... I also use dry-sorb on the inside to keep the moisture down as well in case you were worried about the wood creating mold.. over a year now with not a single speck or inkling of mold...
Good luck!!!

Back