Wood false front on a mini fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

obarrett

Reaction score
Has anyone tried applying a wooden door false front to a mini fridge?

Recently bought a Danby DAR125SLDD, to handle two cornys in my outdoor kitchen (which has yet to be built)...

I plan on having wood cabinet doors on the island, and would like to match the fridge...

The Danby door has a slight curve, so I think I would bandsaw some curbed battens, construction adhesive them to the door with a few strategically placed screws (or through bolts) then apply the decorative wood panels.....

any thoughts?

The idea is to basically, apply this style wood door in the picture below (not mine), on top of the pseudo-stainless door of the Danby fridge...

tropical-patio.jpg

61JEs3jdUXL._SL1500_.jpg

You mean you don't want to just rock the teak vinyl like it's 1975?
http://1stopvinyl.com/products/vvivid-wood-grain-films

In all seriousness, there's nothing wrong with putting real wood paneling on. Is it going to be built into the island also? Have you thought of reusing the gasket and just building an entirely new door? That way you don't need to deal with the curve if you don't want to.

thanks... all options are on the table, thus the plead to the community...

as for the stickers... ha ha... i just helped my dad retire his auto shop after 30 years... while we cleaned it out, i found a 10' roll of 24" 'wood' paneling stickers... ala clark griswald... i kept that roll, but the fridge wont see it.. (i have no idea what will, but im gonna use it wisely)

ill explore taking apart the door.... the fridge will be "built in" but in the sense that i can slide it out... 10' x 10' L shape unit... grill, side burner, fridge (2 cornies, no tower) sink......

appreciate the input...

if you want it to slide out, id just leave the door as is, and hide it with the other wooden door. maybe build in some extra room for some shelving for storage.

Apply 1/4" plywood to the door. It will flex to follow the curve. Trim the plywood/door out with thin moldings which will also flex.

Apply 1/4" plywood to the door. It will flex to follow the curve. Trim the plywood/door out with thin moldings which will also flex.

I agree with this idea; plus you will want to take care adding too much weight to the cute little hinges they have on those fridge doors.

slightly ot but related... how are you planning to cool the fridge?

by plugging it in... ?

but if you are referring to air space behind the fridge, my counters will probably be anywhere from 27"-32" deep, so there will be plenty of space behind the fridge... and it will be built on a deck, so that should help with the airflow...

was that how your question was intended?

My LHBS has a same set of what is basically a 1/16 real wood veneer that self applies with adhesive. They have wrapped a bunch of kegerators and they all looked good. Il try to get the name of the material/supplier and post it. They have a sample card with at least 20 colors and they have a wood grain finish. It sounds like exactly what you are looking for.

Back