WLP655 Belgium sour mix question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loodachris

12th man loud and proud!
Reaction score
So I now brew using my Picobrew and decided to try my hand at a sour. I used a recipe found on the Picobrew forums and fermented it with some US-05 the transfered to a carboy and added the wlp655. This was on the 1st of this month and there is nothing going on in that carboy. I figured it was too cold in my closet so I moved it next to a heater vent and covered it with a blanket and although it is much warmer there is still no activity. Question is...

1) what if any activity am I supposed to see?
2) Since it was only a 2.5 gallon brew can I repeat the process and just dump it in the carboy so I can have more final product and add another vial of the 655?
3) I have oak chips I have been wanting to use so when can I put some in the carboy and how much

So it was fermented clean, and then transferred and soured?

Dont worry about it. Just because you dont hjave a pellicle doesnt mean its not souring. A pellicle is just a defense mechanism by the bugs to keep other stuff out. Ive had beers get entirely soured before forming a pellicle. Plus 12 days is way, way way, too soon to expect anything

OK thanks for the info. I heard others having some kind of activity a few days after pitching. Since this was a 2.5 gallon brew can I brew the same thing again and just add it to what I have going now so I can have more final product? My thought was to brew another batch and after it chills to the temp of my current batch in the carboy just dump it in without fermenting it clean first. Would this work?

I dont see any reason why it wouldnt. There should be enough brett and sacch in suspension to fully ferment the new wort

Latest posts

Back