WLP568 slow finish

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jphebbie2

Reaction score
So 6 days ago I made a saison using WLP 568 Belgian style saison yeast. Supposedly its a blend that is supposed to help Dupont finish since its notorious for stalling. Mashed low for a dry finish. Made a 1L starter on my stir plate 24hrs before pitching, so the whole thing was pitched at high krausen. Started bubbling in 3hrs and took off. Quit bubbling for a day and a half now. So I took the bucket out and let it sit for a couple hrs on the counter I was going to rack it from to give it a chance to settle. When I go to rack, I notice a bubble so I take off the Fermenter lid and there is still a solid 2inches of krausen. OG was 1.051, gravity now is 1.012. I put the lid on and am getting a bubble every 15 seconds or so now. This just seems weird to me??? It stalled then I guess i roused it inadvertently, but can krausen re-rise that much and that quickly? It was only a few hours. Im not worried or anything just sharing something odd and seeing if anyone has seen this before. It tasted pretty good for a 6 day old beer. just a weird occurrence. This is my first time using 568 so just seeing what others have to say about it.

Thanks
JP-

Slow airlock activity doesn't necessarily mean it's done fermenting. A solid 2 inches of krausen, on the other hand, is a pretty good indicator that it's still going. Saison yeasts can go very very dry so I'd recommend being extra careful about bottling this one and using the hydrometer rather than the airlock to determine when it's done.

Back