Wiring mini relay

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fusa

Reaction score
I am finishing my control panel. I am using this relay. I want to make sure if I have wired this correctly. Here is a picture of what I have done.
The diagram I am using is at the bottom

relay.jpg

Auberin-wiring1-SYL-2352-basic7-RIMS.jpg

not sure why you have a relay wired to a relay. all you need to do is run the RIMS SSR enable (from the PID) through both switches in series.

as long as both swtiches are on, then the RIM heater is on, if the "heat" switch or the "pump" switch or the PID control is off then heat is off.
If only the "heat" switch is off, then the pump is still on.

electrically it should work. I would add a quenching diode to the mech relay though.

****Edit. , if you are using it for pid, a high switch rate might not be good for the mech relay

It looks like you have the element inlet connected to the NC (normally closed) blade. You want it on the NO (normally open) blade. The way you have it now the element will be getting power when the switch is off.

Make sure you're using the proper gauge wire rated to your element's current draw. I use 16 or 18 AWG for switch/indicator/buzzer wiring.

Also make sure your female connectors are crimped securely. Give a firm pull and make sure they don't move. I can never get a solid crimp on the connectors auber includes with their relay.

Here's the diagram from auber:
r30A2a.jpg

I still dont get why you guys are running a relay off of a relay.

you have a nice SSR that doesnt have any of the downsides of a mechanical relay. run the control for the relay in series and you dont need a second relay at all......

like this and you only need the SSR, it will still serve the same logical function.

suvNWDAtvHoSHmF9

It is designed as a safety feature in the event that the SSR fails closed. By the way you also have an SSR connected to a relay.

It is designed as a safety feature in the event that the SSR fails open. By the way you also have an SSR connected to a relay.

If it fails open, then you have no heat.

If it fails shorted (which is how they usually fail) then turn off main power instead of just the heat switch.

If you are refering to a relay in the main power, Its not my drawing. You have to turn power on and off somehow.

If it fails open, then you have no heat.

If it fails shorted (which is how they usually fail) then turn off main power instead of just the heat switch.

If you are refering to a relay in the main power, Its not my drawing. You have to turn power on and off somehow.

If you want the element off, you switch the element power contactor off, you still have power to your panel, and if the SSR fails closed the element is still off.

Without that contactor, if your panel has power, and the SSR fails closed, you have power to an element that you think is off.

Back