Wiring in a boil element; Question????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EthanWalker

Reaction score
I recently bought this HERMS from a guy that upgraded to all electric. This system only has an electric HLT. I am wanting to install a boil heating element and just have it on a rheostat like this http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_30&products_id=353 I have very little electrical experience and was wondering if anyone had any advice on the easiest way to wire everything up. I want to keep only 1 power main power cord or this would be a much simpler project. One of the orange extension cords goes directly to the pump and the other orange cord that is wired into the control box goes to a stir paddle in the HLT. I can add more if needed and I'll try to answer any questions. Thanks for the help!:mug:

IMG_20160305_141840093.jpg

IMG_20160305_141833945_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160305_141824064.jpg

You can certainly use the rheostat you listed with the SSVR to control the boil. I did the same thing with my temporary controller before I built the KAL clone panel. Essentially, you use a toggle switch to switch from PID control to rheostat control. Are you planning to install another output for the boil kettle or will you swap cords when you switch to boiling? That decision drives how you wire the system.

I assume from the pic that the system is 115V? If you're running it from a 15 amp receptacle, it will be a little on the slow side to bring to a boil and you will probably be limited to 5 gallons. Upgrading it to 220V would be 4 times faster. I also recommend wiring in a contactor with a main power switch so you can cut all power to the elements. Some people leave one hot leg to the element powered on with the 220V setups. That is dangerous and that's where the contactor will protect you from doing the 60 cycle shuffle.

Back