Wireless sensors in the fermenter (Smartthings)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blmcga

Reaction score
I'm using Smartthings to monitor my brew room with a xiaomi temp sensor (these things are tiny!) which triggers a small space heater to regulate the temp, works great for the room but I want to monitor and regulate the actual fermenter internal temp.

Can anyone think of a decent way to be able to add the temp sensor inside the fermenter itself? Can I put it in a ziplock, sanitize it, and drop it in the fermenter or will the plastic bag ruin the beer?

First post here, lots of great info!!! only on my second kit and on info overload.

I can't tell how large that is, but if you can seal it in plastic and sanitize the unit, that should work.

However, there may be an easier and less likely to infect your beer way to do this. I place an inkbird temperature probe against my fermenter and cover it with a piece of foam held in place by a bungee cord. This reads the temp of the beer while the foam insulates the probe from outside temperature fluctuations.

Just cut a cavity into the foam that will accommodate your sensor, press it against the fermenter and voila!

Like so:

probefoam.jpg

I'm using Smartthings to monitor my brew room with a xiaomi temp sensor (these things are tiny!) which triggers a small space heater to regulate the temp, works great for the room but I want to monitor and regulate the actual fermenter internal temp.

Can anyone think of a decent way to be able to add the temp sensor inside the fermenter itself? Can I put it in a ziplock, sanitize it, and drop it in the fermenter or will the plastic bag ruin the beer?

First post here, lots of great info!!! only on my second kit and on info overload.

Maybe use a food vacuum sealer and include some weight so it is just below the surface. Of course sanitize everything before the big dunk!

Tiny? It's a bit larger than a hockey puck (pretty sure you're not using carboys ;))

I would not trust a "Baggie" for this mission. The vac-sealer might be the best bet...

Cheers!

They are actually only a bit bigger than a bottle cap. I don't have a vac sealer and i agree trusting a ziploc isn't ideal.

I got a thermocouple taped to the side of my primary right now and don't think it's giving a true temp reading. I'm thinking of going another route I have a Heatermeter and thinking of just using a long thermocouple through a bung on the top.

I like Smartthings but I think I will have better control with the Heatermeter route...

If its really that small just coat the entire thing in 100% aquarium silicone you can get at any pet shop or online, let it cure for a few days or a week so all the chemicals go away and drop it in your bucket or dangle it with a string inside so it doesnt just read temps in the trub/yeast.

Back