Winter Strong - Review my recipe.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anubis

Reaction score
On my lunch I went to the LHBS and one of the guys helped me throw together a recipe for a chewy, dark, malty winter ale.

Batch size: 2.5
Calc. OG: 1.085
Calc. FG: 1.021
Mash Eff: 75%
IBU: 29
SRM: 54
ABV: 8.5
Yeast: Wyeast 1056
Starter: 2000ml on stir plate 36hrs then decant.

5# Marris Otter
2# Crystal 80L
1# Caramunich II
1/2# Carapils
1/4# Choclate Malt

1oz Saaz @ 60
.5oz Fuggle @ 15

Single Infusion Mash: 156f for 80 min.
Batch sparge.

I hit an OG of 1090 so it was a little high but my starter was big enough so I didn't top off.

Thoughts?

Well, it looks pretty good to me. A good recipe to let the malt shine through, in an eclectic mix of British and American flavors.
That's quite of bit of dark crystal you're using. I've never used that malt in quantity before, but it seems to me the brew will stand or fall based upon how well that works. It may make for a magnificent, roasty caramel flavor, or it may be overbearing. I suspect the former, though; usually when I've had problems with specialty malts being overbearing it's when I use much less clean-tasting yeasts that the American Ale strain.

That's one thing I was worried about. You could really smell it in the mash but only time will tell. I think I'l be ok as long as I allow for a long ferm and conditioning time to help even everything out.

I think you will end up with too much sweetness, nearly 40% crystal/cara malt plus mashing towards the upper end of the range. With bigger beers I actually like to go the other direction, just by the very nature of having a high OG you will have plenty of body/sweetness. It’s an issue of personal taste though, plenty of people like sweeter beers.

If it does turn out too sweet, trying pitching a highly attenuative strain (Wyeast French Saison is a monster), or you could go sour with it by pitching a pack of Lambic or Roeselare blend.

Good idea would the saison yeast bring any flavors? I am not familiar with those strains.

It would bring flavors, certainly. Not necessarily ones appropriate for such a malty beer. Saison yeasts are generally used to make light wheat beers, and lend aromas usually described as banana and clove. Good for summertime.

Clove would be nice but bannana....no.
I was thinking Wyeast Irish ale migh bring it down further once the 1056 poops out. Good for dark and malty ales but not sure if it would get the job done.

It would bring flavors, certainly. Not necessarily ones appropriate for such a malty beer. Saison yeasts are generally used to make light wheat beers, and lend aromas usually described as banana and clove. Good for summertime.

It sounds like you are talking about Hefe Wezien yeast. Saison strains are more peppery and less fruity, while the “classic” use is in pale beers they are often used in big/dark beers (Fantome, Lost Abbey, Stillwater, McKenzie’s all do dark winter saisons). The last three years a couple friends and I have done something in that general direction, this year we did figs, buckwheat honey, and anise on a dark ~1.065 base beer.

It will add some “Belgian” flavor, but if you add it after the bulk of primary fermentation is complete the effect will be muted. In the case of Wyeast French Saison it can work in the 60s, so I wouldn’t push the temp into the 80s (as you usually do for other saison strains) to keep it as neutral as possible.

80's Really? It's snowing and a little too cold in the house (wood floor, single pane windows) to keep thosetemps. Most I can do is 73 - 75.

Any thoughts about Irish ale yeast?

Also, I was thinking about dry hopping with a half oz of norther brewer two-three days before bottling. Ihear they can give a nice spice tone, but is it a good idea?

80's Really? It's snowing and a little too cold in the house (wood floor, single pane windows) to keep thosetemps. Most I can do is 73 - 75.

Any thoughts about Irish ale yeast?

Sorry if I wasn't clear, I said I wouldn't push the temp up into the 80s like I would for the Dupont strain (for example). An ambient temp in the 60s or 70s is perfect for this situation.

Irish Ale yeast is a pretty low attenuator, I don't think it would help (it would have been a fine choice for primary fermentation if you had used less crystal and/or mashed lower). If you want to keep the beer neutral I would go with US-05, it isn't quite as potent as French Saison, but it is very clean and will probably drop the gravity lower than 1056.

Although, this is all only if the beer turns out too sweet for your tastes, it may be just fine without adding another strain.

Also, I was thinking about dry hopping with a half oz of norther brewer two-three days before bottling. Ihear they can give a nice spice tone, but is it a good idea?

I've never dry hopped with Northern Brewer, it is the signature hop in Anchor Steam (sort of woodsy to me) so that would be a good beer to sample if you are thinking about using them.

I thought 1056 and 05 were basically the same strain. I have seen it munch the crap out of beer though where the 1056 has "average" attenuation but wasn't sure if it was my wort or the yeast that brought about those results.

I thought 1056 and 05 were basically the same strain. I have seen it munch the crap out of beer though where the 1056 has "average" attenuation but wasn't sure if it was my wort or the yeast that brought about those results.

05 is similar to 1056 and 001, but in my experience it will attenuate an extra ~5%. When I use 05 I tend to up my mash temp 5 F to offset the added activity. I also find the dry strain is slightly fruitier (I often get peach) than the liquid versions.

Awesome. So then I will plan on a long ferm, taste, then go from there. Thanks for the advice. I'll post again in..... February? When it's done.

Back