Wine was amazing now has changed??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bilco512

Reaction score
Hello there, I'm just wondering if anyone could give me more of an idea on what is going on,

I bottled my 2015 Shiraz about 4 months ago and at the time of bottling, was one of the best wines I have ever made, it was Oaked for 10 months and was bottled with 30 total parts pms and around 50-60 ppm free pms.

Now after 4 months in the bottle directly after opening and pouring it has a eggy or sulphur smell, and of course after decanting or stirring for a few minutes this smell dissipates and is back to the fantastic wine it is, but I'm just wondering what has caused this after bottling with such sufficient amounts of pms and stability?

Also is this maybe a temporary thing and will it recover?

Thanks in advance

i think you have your PMS rates backwards (free is never higher then total ppm) and depends on the source of the stink.. try adding a few clean pennies to a small glass of the wine and see what happens .. if this makes a difference then you have Hydrogen Sulphide... 30ppm is good depending on the pH of the wine and did you actually test your SO2?

Sorry yes of course it's 50-60 total and around 30parts free pms,

I am in Australia so unfortunately we don't have pennies here, I might take the wine to a lab and get it tears for hydrogen sulphide, as well as total and free pms now

Thanks for your help!
I'm just hoping this is a little bit of pms smell coming from the wine since it's such a young wine still

at that low does of PMS i doubt that would be the case but try adding a few drops of hydrogen peroxide to it .. that binds free SO2 and I have added much more SO2 and it is not noticed. the other option to pennies is put it in a glass with a bit of copper pipe lol (clean, no lead)

at a certain point Bilco, she is what she is...I think you are there now. Yeah you could un-bottle it and treat it and re-bottle...lotta work and risks associated with doing that...you could make it worse or ruin it. I would simply leave it alone, give it more time. Decant every bottle an hour or so before you plan to drink it....you said it goes away, just let it go away.

BUT...I do think you will be amazed at what another 4-8 months in the bottle will do for wine! I am finding time or the lack there of, to be one of the most important ingredients used in wine making. For some of us, it's also the hardest to include!

Back