wine krausen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris1272

Reaction score
I am pitching the yeast in my first batch of wine tomorrow. with the fruit in the fermenter there isn't much head space at all. I have made ciders with very little bubble build up. but was wondering how how much head space is suggested and how much bubbling i can expect?

Very very low. I've done one batch of actual fruit and many Apfelweins and the krausen is miniscule. At the most you're looking at half an inch and even with that I doubt an airlock would ever clog. It's the thinnest stuff ever.

By the way. Auburn? Give me a call, haha. Or PM me, phone numbers and the internet never work out well.

After doing an apfelwein, and two fruit wines I'll agree with WillPall, almost none to speak of.

The only time I've had to use a blowoff tube was when I accidentally filled a carboy to about two inches below the mouth of the carboy.

I am pitching the yeast in my first batch of wine tomorrow. with the fruit in the fermenter there isn't much head space at all. I have made ciders with very little bubble build up. but was wondering how how much head space is suggested and how much bubbling i can expect?

Depends on the yeast. Montrachet hardly foams at all but I've had K1-V1116 blow the top off the airlock. You might find some useful info on yeast strains & behaviour here: http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/strains.asp Regards, GF.

Back