Windscreen/burner help, please.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I am goind to build one using some of the OSB sheathing that has reflective material on one side. I'm thinking of cutting it to be 3 panels using hinges so I can fold it and store it easily.

Tough to beat flashing for cheap and easy to work with. You can cut aluminum with heavy scissors.

My Mash Tun Cooler is starting to melt when I upgraded to 10G batches due to closeness to burner and longer burner usage. I am using a gravity metal shelf stand with 18x18 shelves. Would adding a windscreen reflect heat away from the cooler? Was thinking of trying flashing or hvac ducts.

My Mash Tun Cooler is starting to melt when I upgraded to 10G batches due to closeness to burner and longer burner usage. I am using a gravity metal shelf stand with 18x18 shelves. Would adding a windscreen reflect heat away from the cooler? Was thinking of trying flashing or hvac ducts.

Yup. (10char)

if you use a windscreen, be sure to rig it such that the propane (or ng) hose is outside the sheeting when in use. If you aren't careful the hose can be caught behind the heat barrier and melt.

Flashing FTW! :D

5408-winter_sparging.jpg

I'll probably go the flashing route, but the cheapest I can find here is at Lowe's is 20" x 10' for $23.

You could buy one of these and rivet together, (or bolt or whatever), to get 20"-28" wide:
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=12538-205-66310&lpage=none
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=12539-205-66314&lpage=none

10 and 14 bucks, respectively, and both in stock at the S. Tuscon Lowes.

The southside location always has everything, thats where most of the contractor stuff is sold out of, but it is on the opposite end of town ~30 miles away. I guess I could order and do an in-store pick-up. I wanted to brew this Tuesday, but we are having our house tiled next week, which really would screw me up, so I have to put brewday on hold until the following Tuesday, so I have a couple weeks to get the windshield.

Thanks for the heads up, I would assume purchasing the flashing and rivet gun would be just as much as purchasing the 20" flashing if not more. At any rate, I really appreciate the footwork on the find.

I just made one by cutting a 50 gallon drum in half with a Sawzall.

The southside location always has everything, thats where most of the contractor stuff is sold out of, but it is on the opposite end of town ~30 miles away. I guess I could order and do an in-store pick-up. I wanted to brew this Tuesday, but we are having our house tiled next week, which really would screw me up, so I have to put brewday on hold until the following Tuesday, so I have a couple weeks to get the windshield.

Thanks for the heads up, I would assume purchasing the flashing and rivet gun would be just as much as purchasing the 20" flashing if not more. At any rate, I really appreciate the footwork on the find.

Ah, crap...there are 4 lowes in Tuscon...I just chose one :D ... Oh well, I'm sure you can figure something out....gluck!

My old man was a foreman for a mechanical company, so I could have gotten all the sheet metal I needed, but he was laid off a few months ago, now he is talking about outright retiring. Figures, right when I could use something he had tons of access to.

Guess I' could always midnight salvage from a construction site!:D

Here in NE, the wind changes direction and can blow pretty hard. I went with a cheap and easy solution that is heavy enough to stand up to the wind. When I'm not brewing, it holds my garbage cans in place.

IMG_01391.jpg

Latest posts

Back